1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dogs teaching dogs

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by nern, Jun 27, 2004.

1. nern

nern New Member

I thought this might be an interesting topic. What have your dogs taught each other?

Howling at fire truck sirens -
    In Sebastian's previous home he went 5yrs without reacting to sirens. They get a new Husky x puppy that automatically began howling at the sirens...soon after Sebastian began joining in on the fun and howled along with him. Natalie never reacted to sirens (and they go by frequently because I live on a main road)...Sebastian moves in and soon after Natalie begins howling at the sirens. She has hound in her so you can imagine what it sounds like. :mrgreen:

Leg lifting -
    Being a female dog, I never expected Natalie to lift her leg during walks in what appears to be an attempt to "mark" things. When she was a puppy I took her for many walks with Sebastian, who would have to "mark" everything, and later Natalie began lifting her leg on everything during walks and still does to this day.

2. Hi! When I got Freebie (shi tzu) Casey (mimi D) was two yrs. old. She taught him to go potty outside. And she has always done a backyard run when it's time to eat. It's really cute! Every time i get their food out, she tears off outside and runs the entire backyard fence barking, then she'll come in and eat. Now Freebie does it too....CRAZY DOGS! :mrgreen:

Susan

3. nern

nern New Member

LOL Susan. That is so cute. :wink:

4. Jody

Jody New Member

Jasper tought Miah how to dig holes. I walked out back one day to hang washing on the line and found Jasper digging holes, meanwhile looking at Miah. I sometimes wonder if they can communicate in someway, because I walked back in side, looked out the window and found Miah digging holes over where Jasper was standing..... Argghhhhh!

5. nern

nern New Member

LOL Jody. I forgot that one....when Natalie used to play with Teddy I caught her digging holes with him a few times too.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Nala taught Bonnie to chase cats. :roll:

Jamiya

7. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

We baby sat a niece's Golden pup Star for a weekend and she taught Duke how to leap over the back of the sofa and land in your lap. I'm still tring to convince Duke that's not a real good trick. :D

8. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

As most of you have already heard, we started taking Rusty to dog daycare this past month--- it's working out great for hm, he's getting lots of exercise and socialization.
    But the funny thing I'm reporting here is that the first week he was going there--- I think it was just the evening of the second day-- my roommate came in from walking him and said , "He's running in this funny new way... sort of darting and cutting back and forth like one of those cutting horses do when they're herding, or something! ANd she was right, when I took him out, he did the same thing. Still sniffing the ground in search of squirrels as always, but doing it in this quick side to side, fast cutting sort of movement.
    The next day, when I dropped him off at daycare, the woman that runs it said "Well Rusty, your friend Toby is already here" and I asked who Toby was, and she said he's a dog Rusty loves to play all day with.... a Sheltie :) I said, "Okay... Now I know where he learned all those new moves!" Obviously Toby had been teaching Rusty how to be a herding dog!

9. honeybears

honeybears New Member

my friends dog taught Jake how to lift his leg. never did it, and here he was 4 years old and a friend came into town with her male dog. not only did he teach Jake to lift his leg, he taught Jake to mark hi territory

honeybear

10. GinaH

GinaH New Member

When Pinky was learning sign language the other dogs learned several signs by watching Pinky. Sometimes when I am signing to Pinky I catch my signing to the other dogs and the funny thing they respond. all the girls no the sign for treat and bye bye. I catch them watching Pinkys actions so that they can understand what each sign is. It's amazing to me.

11. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

That's really interesting GinaH--- I think dogs take to signs pretty easily. I know I've always made a habit of having a hand signal to accompany any trick or command I teach my dog. That way, if I'm somewhere were I don't want to or can't do a lot of talking, I can still give them comands. They seem to learn those as quickly as the voice ones.

12. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Wow!!! I know the mothers do alot of training, but daddy does a good job too!

We take the pups that are going fro herding out with their daddy to "practice" and its amazing how fast the pups pick up and will start to "attempt" to herd a calf. They learn the duck and turn, the right sports to nip and bite... and they learn this as early as 4 weeks!!!

13. nern

nern New Member

Great stories everyone! Alot of them really gave me a good laugh. :lol: