1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Doing what dogs do....

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by gailau, May 27, 2004.

1. gailau

gailau New Member

I guess it would be fair to say that dogs respond, in the main, to a variety of situations by barking. I detest incessant barking for no apparent reason - as we all do. But I do believe in letting my dogs have a "reasonable" bark at passers-by, especially at night. I will reprimand them if they are overdoing it, but nevertheless, my theory is that dogs (or at least the majority) DO bark for a reason. I am immediately alerted to a situation which I would otherwise have been ignorant to - perhaps a would-be intruder or a mischievous troublemaker or a genuine visitor. I rely on my dogs to act as warning bells and don't think it's healthy to suppress their natural instincts. We give them a yard, set their boundaries and strengthen their protective instincts and then when they do what they can ONLY do to react, we read them the riot act! Doesn't gel. Just wondering what you think about this scenario.

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I agree. I generally will let the dogs bark in warning a few times, and then ask them to be quiet. That way they have done "their job" first and then obeyed your wish to stop barking (easier said than done with some dogs).

For the most part, I believe in this general idea for almost everything about dogs. A lot of the "never let a dog do...." rules are not necessary. Instead, as long as the dog knows when they can and cannot do those things and how to cease and desist when you ask them to, you are the boss and your dogs are doing fine.

Jamiya

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I totally agree. Which, by the way, is a total turn around from my point of view in the past! My mom had a small dog that barked at EVERYTHING---- ALL THE TIME! That worked my last nerve! But, Sarge seems to only bark at what he should so I have never reprimanded him. I am grateful for his better hearing, smelling and seeing. I feel safer with him there to let me know what's up. He is only 13 weeks, but everyone who has heard him bark is always freaked out at how loud and large he sounds! Big bark, little dog! (for now!). I think the same rules that we apply to people should aply to our pets. You should not try and change a fundamental thing about someone you love, don't try to change the natural instincts of an animal. If there is an undesirable trait in the pet, you should have done a better job of researching what traits the breed you chose possessed. We knew what we wanted in a dog and I researched for 6 months on traits of dogs and what dogs I liked that possessed them.

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I hate dogs that just bark and bark. Now Wylie has started to bark a lot :x

I heard her this morning, and she is barking, but she barks at things, but it shouldnt be be every little noise. The neighbors are leaving, so she is barking, a few weeks ago they are doing yard work she is barking, bikers go by, she barks, a car drives by she barks. It has gotten progressively worse. I may try a citoneela collar. I do wnat them to bark when there is a problem, but what happens many times is Jake barks because Wylie is and he has no clue as to why, he just does it.

Honeybear

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Oh GOD!!! My mother in laws pom!!! IT NEVER SHUTS UP!!!

Ok so the other day, we went to her house, she put him in the bedroom while we were outside, because he wouldn't shut up.
    The dog sounded like someone was killing him! I'm talking screaming, and whining and screeching sooo loud we had to run in there about 50 times! He was just sitting on the bed throwing a fit!!!

That damn dog. I hate it. And I don't usually hate anything.
    He never stops. I don't know how she can stand it. If you try to pet him, he pee's all over the place, and OMG! You'd think you beat the snot outta him before you ever touched him!!!

Oh I hate that little buggar!

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Do you think that could have been trained out of him when he was young? Or do you think some dogs are hopeless in that regard?

Jamiya

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya - I think some breeds are just natural yappers, and that it is hard to train, and others depending on what type of barking like why are they barking you can train to stop

honeybear

8. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I've had several different sizes and breeds (most mixed mutts) in my life. The thing I've noticed about smaller dogs is their bark is sometimes associated with fear and anxiety most of the time, in one way or another. Rusty is actually pretty good for a little dog; I was afraid when we brought him home he might be the stereotypical "yapper" little dog---- but he's not. But he does seem to bark more when I can tell he is nervous, anxious or afraid.... like at night. We live in an apartment building, and when we go out for his last walk at night he sometimes is on edge, and tends to want to bark at everything that moves, and even things that he just thinks might possibly move :roll: He has some fear that I don't always understand completely, I think because of things from his past I don't know about. But as a rule, he is pretty good about just barking when a dog should... when they hear something different going on, to alert us.

I was wondering....isn't Wylie the dog that got attacked by coyotes a while back? If my memory is serving me at all, I thought there was a post about that a while back. If she was, I'm thinking that might have her feeling very anxious, and cause her to be barking more than she did in the past. I sure would be if I was her!

9. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Pam, yes that was Wylie that got attacked. Could be she is anxious after the experience she had, never thought of that. thanks

honeybear

10. Samsintentions

WEll this little "crapper" he barks when no one is home!!! he barks all night long, all day long, you put him in another room when company is there, he barks....turn off the lights and close the blinds so you know he can't see anyone, he barks.....

we've come to the conclusion (after several vet visits to make sure nothing is wrong) he just likes to hear his own head rattle!

Now if she stomps and tells him hush. He will, for about 2 seconds....then he starts up again. Its gotten sooo bad, I dread going over there.

And its not just strangers he yaps at either, her son's lived there with her every day of his life. And he yips and yaps at him too!!!! She's the only one he doesn't do it to.

Oh if that was my little rat.....grrrrrr!!!!!!

11. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I think with some dogs, the yapping bark thing is sort of an obsessive/compulsive disorder.....Maybe her dog needs an anti anxiety drug? Weird as it sounds, they are starting to do that with animals...my boss's cat is on Prozac!

12. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Yep! My aunt poodle was on antitripilyne as far back as 8 years ago becuase of her seperation anxiety.

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Incessant barking is definitely a sign of anxiety. There was a collie at the TTouch seminar I went to that would not stop!! It was highly annoying. But the trainer took her and worked with her for about 15 minutes using a little totally neutral dachshund to help out, and by the end of the 15 minutes the collie was already MUCH better.

The trainer was Kathy Cascade and she is totally amazing (http://www.spiritdog.com).

Jamiya

14. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Well thank goodness i dont have yappers . I havew little dogs but they bark when daddy comes home. They will bark if someoine comes up and they bark if a car goes by each one is a different kind of bark and you know if something is not right.

15. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

Jamiya--- I'm very interested in this seminar you mentioned--is there somewhere I can find out more about it? And I'm curious--- how did she use the little dachshund to help out with the collie's barking? This all sounds very interesting--- I'm looking for more ways to help Rusty with some of his anxiety he came to us with. Much of it has subsided a lot, but we still have the separation anxiety issue. And, he has become VERY bonded to me, and according to my room mate pretty much just sits by the door and wimpers and cries when I leave him, like he's scared to death I'm never going to return. I wish I knew things to do to help ease his poor little worried head!!

16. Samsintentions

TTouch is great! Works on everything!

As far as this little $hister goes..... He does it when she's aroud!!! So how could that be separation axiety???? Thinking that some Valium (in large quantities) would help!!! LOL joking of course.....keep the little buggar knocked out,,no problems!

17. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I posted on the Seperation Anxiety a while ago (may have to go back a page or 2) that I did with Hatley and her SA. It was a MIRACLE. Maybe some of it could help you too.

18. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I have two poms. They love to bark at anything. But when I tell them enough they stop. SOmetimes not before letting out a little yapp but they have gotten really good.