1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

don't ya just love pilling cats

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Mary_NH, May 19, 2004.

1. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Tony was easy to pill when he wasn't feeling well but now that he's a bit perkier pilling him is just the excitement of my day ](*,) I guess you could say I don't have much of a life :lol:

It's a good thing he's gentle by nature cause if he decided to chomp down on my finger while I'm trying to get that pill at the back of his mouth I'd be hurting.

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I have such a hard time giving Moe a pill once she starts getting healthy too. Once she stops struggling and it finally seems like the pill is gone I'll let her go, only to have her spit it out a few minutes later. I don't know where she hids them in her mouth cause we do a full sweep - under the tongue, in the cheeks - before letting her go. The vet told me that I probably wasn't doing it right so she tried. I got to laugh and say "I told you so" when Moe spit the pill across the room! If I ever have to pill her again, I'm getting one those plastic pill dispenser things from the pet store.

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Mary a lot of meds now come in liquid form. Is there a chance this medication may be available in liquid drops? May I ask what he's taking?

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

he's on Clavamox Chess....he started sneezing bloody mucus this morning and Siamese Rescue told me to restart the Clavamox. He was on it for 5 days after his netuer and that ended last Tuesday. He's actually much much better tonight (started the Clavamox this morning). SRC supplies me with Clavamox so I have to give him what they give me and it's pills.

tonight's pilling was fun :y_the_best: It took awhile (and he spit it out a couple of times) but I got him. Poor fella...and he's so loving even after the abuse

5. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Clavamox does come in liquid form. That's too bad they didn't give you the Clavamox drops. ](*,) That would have made things a lot easier for the both of you. I hope he gets all better soon, Mary. It sure is nice of you to take such good care of these foster cats.

6. dolly

dolly New Member

When I first read the topic I thought you meant pilling as in a fabric, ie. the little balls you get on sweaters that have to be pulled off, I couldn't imagine this happening to a cat... :?
    Anyways, I use a pill dispenser on my kitties and that has been a big help. but I agree it's still an adventure. Kudos to you for being such a devoted foster mom :y_the_best:

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

just had to share on this topic. max was on metronidazole liquid for the giardia (a parasite) a couple of weeks ago. he didnt like that so much, but i finally got the knack of giving it to him in little doses at a time so he could swallow it. NOW!!!!! he is on amoxil in liquid form for the "clostridium" which is a bacteria that is causing all the diarrhea. well..............guess what????????????.....he is such a good little kitty......believe it or not, he loves this new medicine so much that when i get the bottle out of the refrigerator he starts crying loudly and stands on his back feet to try a get at the dropper. then, he sits there lapping up the medicine off the dropper, trying to get every last bit of it. whadaya know...a medicine made in heaven! yeah!!!! it's a good thing, cause he's gotta be on it for maybe up to a month. wonder what it is mixed with? chessmind....any ideas? (the medicine is pink....looks like pepto bismal)

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

lynnhaz...my dear old Tami used to eat pills from my hand!!! She was a great cat. All I had to do was put a pill in my hand and she'd scoop it up and swallow it. That was a good thing cause she was a sickly thing - she lived to be 16 but I built my vet's new facility :lol: should have a wing dedicated to Tami - but I was the first client to get a tour :mrgreen:

9. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i was beginning to feel that way up until last week. the vet i go to is just for cats...they are all really great, but they were beginning to tell me they were gonna set a cot up for me and max...that if they held stocks i would be a major shareholder! but you know...i was new to that vet since i got max and they say every cloud has a silver lining. they take great care of me, and its kinda like family now. thanks for the post, mary