1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

dry hair and skin

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by jay, Dec 24, 2005.

1. jay

jay New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post in 3 months since Katrina, I even forgot my password. Well I have relocated to Lafayette, La and now have the internet again. Here is my question, I am feeding Mick and for those who don't know me he is a 2 yr old Pit Bull, Chicken Soup and he is doing well on it but his skin and hair has been dry. Do any of you use a conditioner when you bathe and if so, what kind? Also, I have always added flax seed oil to his food and still do. thanks Jay

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Hi and welcome back :D :D interesting, since chicken soup is a good brand and you are giving him flax seed. Maybe he is not getting the spectrum of omegas he needs. like omega 3.6 and 9. I think flaxseed only has one in it. I would also look at a b supplement like biotin, its suppose to make things absorb better problem with conditioner is if he has dry skin then bathing him could make the problem worse. Jakes is in our pool a lot in the summer and his coast was gettign dry so I got him something called a skin and coat emollient that has helped. I got it at jeffwerberproducts.com

hoenybears

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Salmon Oil will help a lot. I give my guy Grizzly Wild Salmon Oil. There are lots of other brands of it, but make sure they have both omega 3 & 6 and wild salmon is best. Timberwolf Organics makes salmon oil too that I bet is good (I haven't used it).

Other people I know swear by Lipiderm but it didn't work with me so ?

Does he just have dry skin or does he have itchy skin?

My guy has dry itchy skin - he has allergies pretty bad. If he has itchy skin, you may want to look for a food specifically for skin conditions. I have been using Calif Natural lamb & rice and he did great on it for about 2 yrs. Now he's looking a little dull and I figured after 2 yrs I should switch so I'm moving him over to Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue formula.

4. Killerbee2

Killerbee2 New Member

I have had a Pit Bull Before.... We had to put it to sleep do to medical reasons. The Champoo We Used Was "Groomers Best®" "Medicated Shampoo". The Dog has never had any skin problems. 8)