1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Hamster (turned mean)

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by Lord Coral, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Lord Coral

Lord Coral New Member

My girlfriend and I had a male dwarf hamster named Gerald. He was really really nice. Then we bought a femail hamster for him named Venus. We had them meet, he attacked her, so we divided the cage into half with another cage so they can get used to the scents and she can stay safe for now. Anyway, Venus is nice as heck, but Gerald turned mean :( He tried biting my finger when I put my hand in to pick him up and play with him, and then when he bit, I reflexivly snapped back and he got flung into the wall :( I am worried that he is forever mean. I believe it is mating season, and he has the new hamster scent to get used to... so should I worry about him being mean forever? Or will it go away? I heard if you hurt a hamster they never forgive you--- is this true? If I handle him with gloves for a while and let him bite, will he turn nice again?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

If it is mating season he might think feel threatened that you're trying to take Venus away from him and that you're invading his space when you try to take him out.

I would suggest giving him some time to settle down and maybe keep the two hamsters serperate until Gerald becomes easy to handle. Take it slow and you should be able to gain his trust again.

I wouldn't do this, it may give him the thought that it's ok to bite you.

3. Lord Coral

Lord Coral New Member

Whats mating like?

Additionally, how to hamsters breed? Would it resemble a fight at all or would there be any fighting involved? How do you know if the female can recieve mating or if she is too young still? If the male wants sex and she's too young will he try to get it on anyway?

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

it could be many things. some hamsters just dont do well in communitys. most seem to be solitary and it could be solitary, go down to a local vet and ask for prices. you can never be to crtain

6. TSD

TSD New Member

Normally you need to purchase hamsters together, for them to be able to live to gether without attacking each other. They normally hate the idea of another hamster on there territory

7. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

my old math teacher had said he had two female and two male dwarf hamsters of the same family. they thow males together and two females together. well he said his hamsters attacket eachother to the death.