1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

dyeing fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by red devil, May 12, 2004.

1. red devil

red devil New Member

Hey i havent been on auspet in a long time because my internet connection is down i am now on a diffrent computer so if anyone asks questions and i dont reply it dosent mean im ignoring you but anyway i have seen more and more dyeid fish latley and i know how deadly it is to a fish so i ask you all to please ask your local pet or fish store to not purchase dyeid fishand explain to them how bad it could be for more information go to www.deathbydyieng.org and read the how you can help section thank you

2. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I agree! It is terrible and too many of us are not aware of it happening. I remember "way back when," buying painted glass fish in florida! Little did I know they were injected with dye!!! It's no wonder why they didn't make it! I am going to check that link out now. Thanks. :x

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

I agree, its a sad truth. I was in the lfs a week ago and a guy was walking around with his kid looking for the next fish to buy for their tank. The kid, of course, chose the brightly colored "blueberry and strawberry tetras". They were covered in ick and definitely did not look healthy in addition to being dyed. I was sick when the attendent did not even mention the ick nor the fact that the dye fades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I didn't buy anything that day and very nearly spoke to the manager, I probably should have.

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i agree. i didnt know about the whole dyeing thing untill i had bought two. now i feel guilty about it. it is inhumane and i think we should all take a stand

5. J_acon

J_acon New Member

Yeah we want 100% natural

6. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

I am also totally aposed to fish dying,

fish are exotic, they are ment to be admired for their beauty, not their artificial colouring.

I know that dyed fish are brightly coloured, but are they majorly brighter than natural fish?

Would a coloured one stick out a mile in a shop?

I just wanted to know so i can steer clear, and give the shop manager a ear bashing, and if they dont listen protest, coz im that way inclined!

Nature is nature, not to be humanly fiddled with because then its not nature, its human modified fish.

7. tina1

tina1 New Member

Yes, they tend to stick out in a crowd and look VERY unnatural. Usually they are flourescent colors like hot pink, neon greens and blues. Anyone that's kept fish for a while will be able to tell what is dyed and what is not just by the coloring. Fish with these colors just don't exist in nature, they would stand out to predators too much.

8. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

well i will keep my eye out, as iv never seen any and i visit alot of fish shops!