1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

DYING KITTEN?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by QWERTYQAZ, Apr 5, 2004.

1. QWERTYQAZ

QWERTYQAZ New Member

:( I need some help quiick, i recently adopted a kitten, he is about 2-3 months old. and i think he may be dying or in shock either way he is SERIOUSLY hurt, and where i live there is no vet for atleast 30 miles, hospital refused to help. here is wha apparently happen, to cut a long story short, a large bowl fell off the kitchen table and landed on the kittens head, he was bleeding from the mouth, and squirming around, and lost control of his bows, he looked dead on impact my 2 neices were xtremly upset so i quickly decided to move his away, but he was still alive he was breahing he looked so pitiful i couldnt stand to look at him i put him in m room and just faced the fact he was going to die shortly and ther was nothing to do i came back about 15 minutes later and he had gotten up and walked/cralwed/rolled behing the tv. i was releaved he was ok so i picked him and set him on the blanket where he proceeded to stumble about falling over. well its been about 3 hours now and he walks now, he walks fine but in circles? then he appears to get tired and stops and flops over then a few momentrs later the whole cirlce thing. he dosen respond to any noise, and appars to be blind he will walk into an object and meow and try to push through it. someone please help me i dont want him to suffer but dont have the heart to put him out of his myserie, i fear he may recover and i would of taken its life for no reason, is he dying? a friend told me he was in shock? someone please help me...

2. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

if i were you id be driving that 30 miles to a vet instead of sitting on here. he sounds like hes already been through shock and has got over it. but it now sounds like there is something wrong with his head/brain. go to the vet now!!! you adopted the kitten so its your responsibility to take it to the vet no matter what, even if its costs you a bundle in either fuel or taxi fares.

3. QWERTYQAZ

QWERTYQAZ New Member

cant

im only 14 and i cant drive my parents left for work. ive called a few friends and no ones parents want to drive all that way my parenst said wed go tonight once they are off work, we drove to the hospiital early this morning already...
    so im stuck between a rock and a hard place until 5 tonight

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

in that case, get a taxi! or tell your parents its urgent and that its THEIR responsibility seeing as youre 14. if they still say no then.. uh.. what nice parents *sarcasm*

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

this kitten probably has brain damage of some sort if it's walking in circles. With vet care they might be able to help....cats do regain from this if treated quickly. I hope you are able to get him to the vet - if not it's a shame

6. fleafly

fleafly New Member

If there is nothing else you can do, keep the kitten warm and comfortable. Put him in a small dark area like a bathroom where he can rest. If he is alert try to get him to eat and drink.

Maybe you can call your vet and ask if they can tell you anything else to do. They may have some better tips.

7. nern

nern New Member

I agree with Fleafly.....call a vet and ask them for advice, they should at least be able to give you some tips if you can not bring him in. Do you have any animal shelters in your area? If so, you may want to try giving them a call as well....maybe they can also give you some advice or at least come and pick him up if he is suffering. Keep us posted.

8. Alkaline

Alkaline New Member

Maybe you could serch the web for some information? Just to see what could have happened... or you can call the vet and ask for advice, that would probably be the best thing to do.

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

THis is really strange as in this persons other post about how to tell if my cat is pregnant she wont take her cat to the vet to be checked and now she has adopted another cat i dont mean to sound rude here but something aint right if your parents are allowing you to get these pets i feel they are responsible for the welfare of the animals aswell.

PLease try and get him to the vets as brain damage if left untreated can not be fixed.

sorry to have sounded blunt or offensive just how i see this.

mike

10. QWERTYQAZ

QWERTYQAZ New Member

%#^$ing vets

finialy we got to take the kitten to the vet, it was 35 for visit and with all test and xrays and all that which totaled 130 they said the kitten was born with mental retardation? and it should be put to sleep for an additional 50. i explained what happen to it and they said it was physicaly and therereticaly impossible for that to happen to the kitten, which is a lie since ive had him for over 2 months now. well since the vets opinion on what was wrong and he he was 100% sure it was born like this, i rfused o have him put to sleep becausei dont feel this person has any knowledge at all about animal care, even with the large knot on the kittens head where it was struck he passed that off as a birth defect. and i have looked online anf calld various places and the majority of the places say its a combonation of shock and head tramua which can last up to 3 months but isnt neccacarly fatl if the cats vitals are fine. but he does sem to be improving more like he has done hour by hour before he wouldnt eat not he licks his food and tries to drink water which i now give to him with an eye dropper. and appears to have slight reaction to sound now, before you oulkd ake a pssst sounf and hd just sit there now if you do it his ear will turn in the direction of sound which is good. i dont know this thing seems to be improving and i rellay hope he pulls through this, thanks for all the suggestions

11. Alkaline

Alkaline New Member

whoa whoa charmedagain I didnt adopt another cat, and I can't take my cat to the vet because I'm only 13

12. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i thought it was your sisters cat? charmedagain brings up a damn good point. why are parents allowing kids to get pets when they wont take the responsiblity of taking them to the vet?

13. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. Thanks for the update QWERTYQAZ. I really hope your kitty pulls through and I'm glad you took him to the vet. I can tell you care about your kitty a lot. It's hard when you're a kid and you don't have money or a car to take your fur animal to the vet right away. I believe you did everything you could considering the situation. Please keep us posted about your kitty and I hope to see you more often on this board. Enjoy your day/evening. :idea:

14. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sorry about that i got the post wrong i feel like a right fool lol.

Sorry to have offenended anyone.
    QWERTYQAZ i am so glad you took your kitten to the vets and i agree with chessmind you can really tell how much you care and love your kitty.

Good luck and i have my fingers crossed and my thoughts are with you that he pulls through and makes a full recovery.

mike

15. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

I also agree. It was vital to get the kitten to the vet. I hope everything works out good. BUT YOUR PARENTS HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILATY OR THEY SHOULD NOT ALLOW ANY PET ---END OF STORY.

MY HUSBAND MY KIDS AND I HAVE TWO CATS, 3 HURMET CRABS, 2 ADULT GUPPIES AND NOW AT MY WORK MY GUPPY HAD BABIES SO WE HAVE 27 FRY. I PAY AND TAKE CARE OF THEM ALL (EVEN THE ONES AT WORK. I TAKE RESPONSIBABLY FOR EVERYTHING). WE ARE LOOKING INTO GETTING TWO TURTLES ALSO.

THE POINT IS IF YOU HAVE A PET NO MATTER WHAT IT IS YOU MUST BE WILLING TO CARE FOR IT AND IF THAT MEANS PAYING A VET BILL THAN YOU HAVE TO APY A VET BILL.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED ON THE KITTEN.

16. mazyku

mazyku New Member

GOOD LUCK.

Good luck with your kitty. It is hard to see your pet suffer and not be able to do anything. I do agree with the others that your parents MUST take responsibility. When we take on a pet, no matter how large or small, we MUST take on the responsibility of taking care of them. They rely on us for their food, housing, and care. Maybe you can do chores around the neighborhood to help pay for your kitty's care? Or even just to set up a fund to have on hand when kitty needs something. Well, good luck and give your kitty as much love as you can. :idea:

17. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

have a good talk to your parents. because its you or your sisters cat they might not be getting involved as much as they should. get em to realise they are the adults with the money and the car and that if something goes wrong they have to chip in.

18. footsie

footsie New Member

Kyle, did you read the whole thing?

The cat went to the vet just a few hours after the original post, presumably when the parents were able to get home from work.

19. QWERTYQAZ

QWERTYQAZ New Member

paying the vet bill was never an issue i had cash in my hand ready to walk out the door only problem was i had no way to get there

20. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i did read the whole thing. im talking about in the future.