1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ear medication for kitten?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Catlover, May 31, 2004.

1. Catlover

Catlover New Member

We got a free female kitten just yesterday, and since she was pretty dirty, this morning I bathed her. Her ears are horrible! I cleaned them out with q-tips, then my mom went and bought Hartz "health measure" ear medication and brought it home for me to use. While reading the back of it, I saw the dreaded "do not use on kittens under 12 weeks of age."
    She's so young, I can't believe her previous owners felt she was old enough to come home with us, but she did, and I think she's only about six or seven weeks old. Would it hurt if I gave her the ear medication? Her ears are pretty bad, she walks around shaking her head and scratching her ears a lot. HELP! :shock:

2. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Well I know the common answer for everything here is to "go to the vet" but it is such a viable solution.

If you really don't know what's causing the infection (ear mites, fungus, FIV...etc) then a vet should check it out. I'm sure they can give you the right meds for whatever is causing the problem...but it could be a bit more serious than just ear mites. :(

If you can't get to a vet then I would recommend following the directions and wait 6 weeks. In the meantime try and make sure she doesn't scratch her ears too much because that could cause a secondary infection.

3. Catlover

Catlover New Member

I know. :cry:
    She seems better since I cleaned out her ears, but I've watched her scratch and shake her head. I looked in her ears and to me they look like mites.
    Should I call a vet or give her the ear medication I have?
    I'm really not sure what to do, the nearest vet is about 45 minutes away.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

do not use any Haartz products....regardless of the age of any cats I wouldn't use any of their products.

You could just continue to swipe the ears out with a cottonball until you can get some stuff from the vet. Ear mites can be hard to get rid of, may take awhile. But please don't use any OTC stuff....especially Haartz

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

7. Catlover

Catlover New Member

Thanks for the advice, Mary_NH. My mom (I think) has planned a day to go to the vet, I'm not sure when.

8. fleafly

fleafly New Member

Don't use the OTC stuff. It isn't intended for young kittens, and it wont work very well. Ear mites need medicine from the vet. The OTC stuff takes 3 times as long and isn't very effective.

9. nern

nern New Member

I agree with the others. I would hold off on using any more of the Hartz and get to the vet instead...be sure to mention to the vet that you have previously applied the Hartz ear medication.