1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Edible perches

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Aqueous, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Last night I was in Patmart and I came across these perches that were "edible". The say they're made out of calcium and cuttle bone.

I was thinking about buying one for Kiwi and Buster but I'm not entirely sure.

Has anyone ever used them?

Here's a pic of what they look like

[​IMG]

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i have seen them before but never really warmed to the idea as i thought what if my birds chewed threw the middle and it snapped and they hurt themselves.

I suppose they are a good idea then they are getting that extra calcium aswell as cuttlefish bone but they not for my birds i think..

Mike

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

:y_the_best: Thanks for the input Mike.

I wasn't entirely sure about the edible part becuase it could fall apart from the chewing.

The only thing I liked about it was the extra calcium and cuttlebone. The perch itself lookes a little large for Buster ( he's a fancy, much smaller than Kiwi) but I guess the guys will just stick to the regular cuttlebone that hangs on the side of the cage.

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

Besides dont you belive that your little guys may leave droppings on that perch? Therefore eating their own droppings after, because I would imagine it would be hard to clean an etible thing.. ya know what I mean?

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I also bought them some "natural" perches (real branches but store bought) last night so they should be getting some extra minerals out of them anyway.

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I'm assuming that the consistancy is much like the cuttlebone itself so it wouldn't be that hard to clean. When I clean my cuttlebones I scrape off the top layer of bone because the cuttlebones are so soft.

7. drab911

drab911 New Member

ooo good point.. Do you just clean poop off of your cuddlebone or is there another reason you should scrape it?

8. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

When I clean their cages there are usually a few piece of poop (not much, just a few) on the cuttlebone.

If its in the middle of the cuttlebone then I usually just scrape, but if it's on the edge then I break off the piece of the cuttlebone with the poop on it and throw it out.