1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tina1, Sep 1, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

OMG I'm totally freaking out right now! My blue rams just spawned! I have EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the pics, the eggs were laid (she might still be working on it for all I know) between 8-8:30 this evening. I watched her lay the last half and watched the male fertilize them and stand guard. He's even bashed a ramshorn snail away from the twice!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Congrats!!!
    :eek:

-Chelle

3. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I LOVE rams there awesome Congrats! Wat min tank size?

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

Thanks guys :D I can't sleep :D :D

mwm, minimum tank size is just a ten gallon for a male and female. Just be sure to introduce them after the cycle and at the same time so you don't have territory disputes!

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Hmm I could see wat the LFS has tank wise i could prolly get something pretty cheap :lol: . LOOK WHAT U PPL HAVE DONE TO ME IM ADDICTED TO FISH :cry:

6. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

O wow!! How interesting!!!!!! I have rams in my tank.. but they haven't spawned.. :( Best of luck for your fry anyway!!!

7. tina1

tina1 New Member

Thanks guys :eek: Still really excited here. The eggs made it over night and mom and dad seem to be taking good care of them. But then, I've never really dealt with eggs before so I'm not sure what I should be looking for :?

Now I have a question, normal water change day is Thursday. Should I go ahead with the water change or would it disturb them too much? Also if anyone has any egg tips to share I'd love to hear them!

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

If the tank is big enough I wouldnt change the water this is just me tho :p Id try to hold off for them to hatch :y_the_best:

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

THAT'S GREAT! Lol! You are going to have to tell me what you did. That's amazing and the lfs generally love taking them off your hands.

10. tina1

tina1 New Member

I think I will wait it out for a while instead of doing the water change :? :shock: I only see two white ones so far so I think I'm doing ok. If I recall correctly they should hatch in about three days right? Which would put me at about Friday I think....

Nameless, I added a male and female ram. Clean water, good food and provided a suitable leaf. They did the rest :D

11. tina1

tina1 New Member

Uh oh. About 75% of my eggs are now white. Should I try and remove them? I would really like at least one to hatch....

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The white eggs are either infertile or growing fungus (is it fuzzy?) or both. If it is fungus, it could spread to healthy eggs and kill them. Generally, the parents should remove any bad eggs, but if this is their first spawning, they may not have figured that out yet. If you can easily remove just the white ones w/o disturbing the others, I would go ahead and try to remove them.

-Chelle

13. tina1

tina1 New Member

Not fuzzy looking as far as I can tell. They're darn tiny! I had read that sometimes the males sperm can't penetrate the egg when the water is hard so I'm assuming that is what happened then. I can't really remove the eggs without causing a lot of disturbance to them so I guess I'll just leave them alone for now. This is their first spawn so they are still learning. I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks

14. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi tina 1, You might want to use Methalene Blue the next time they spawn to help keep the eggs from fungusing.

15. tina1

tina1 New Member

Hi KC, where could I find the meth blue? I don't even know where to look for it! None of my eggs made it this time but I'm being patient, I can wait :D

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Many ich meds contain methylene blue.

-Chelle