1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

eheim cannister filter diagnostic

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sleeper, Jul 18, 2005.

1. sleeper

sleeper New Member

I was putting some new material in my eheim cannister filter and (besides a big messup that resulted in mucho spilled water) I've been unable to get the siphone going since. It will start up, the fan will go into overdrive, then poop out, and start up again a few minutes later.

Is there an old thread here or a web site with a diagnostic check that I can do to go through reason this might be?

Thanks, guys.

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

make you haven't missed any parts

3. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Turn the filter on and with it running, simply turn it upside down for a few seconds until you get a steady stream running into the tank. It should onlly take a few seconds holding it upside down.

4. sleeper

sleeper New Member

When turning it upside down should I be holding the filter above the tank?

It's a cannister, so that might be tough, but otherwise I don't see how you mean.

5. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

No, you don't have to hold it above the tank. Just pick it up a little bit and turn it upside down until you get water flow. The problem is you have a small air pocket in the top of the cannister. That is why you are losing your prime.

6. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Ok, so I tried that and it actually sent water out the intake.

God, I hate knowing so little about engineering...

I think there may be a problem inside the filter itself, because the intake seems to be pulling, but nothing seems to be coming out. Any ideas on how to run a check for that?

7. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Am I understanding this correctly? With the filter RUNNING, you turned it upside down and water came out of the INTAKE?

If the answer to the above question is yes, then you will need to break down the filter. There is some blockage either in the filter or in the output line.

8. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Yeah, I've had the backup HOB filter going and I was away on a business-related trip so when I get home tonight I'll have to take the bugger completely apart.

Very frustrating.