1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Embarrssing problem w/ my maltese

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Riley'sMom, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

Okay this is a little embarrassing more for my pup than for me, but I can be the only one out there... :oops:

Sometimes when Riley uses the bathroom over the period of the day(s) his poop gets stuck within in his fur on his fanney. The first time I realized this was happening was oneday when I came home from work and let him outside to do his business I noticed he was having a hard time, then i picked him up and (sorry for being graphic :? ) i lifted his little tail to see what the problem was, and his you know what was stuck on his bottom preventing him from using the bathroom. I ended up having to give him a bath to soak his bottom to solve the problem. I always try to wipe him with puppy wipes (like baby wipes but for puppies) after he comes inside to use the bathroom but as you can see it still can happen.
    Another question him being a male and having hair on the underside of his belly, when he uses the bathroom right along that area it always gets wet and stains yellow, any suggestions about that? Using the wipes doesnt seem to help get rid of the color.
    Any suggestions would be great!
    Thanks in advanced,
    Lindsay :D
    *AKA Riley's Momma*

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Yep, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! :y_the_best:

I had this same problem for a little while with my two shih-poos, so my groomer started cutting down the hair REAL short on their rear - BINGO, problem solved since there is hardly any hair there for the poop to get stuck in anymore. (Once and a while it will get stuck in the hair from their tail, but that doesn't happen often and is easy to get off anyway.) The key is to watch your dog every time he poops to be sure you know if anything gets stuck. Otherwise, most dogs will scoot around if they feel they have something stuck on their rear, in an effort to get it off. THAT'S when it gets "smushed" in the hair, and you have a nasty project on your hands!!! EWWWW...trust me, I know, and it is not pleasant! :0024: So, that's why you want to be right there to catch them before they sit down on it. BUT, like I said earlier, if you cut the hair real short around his rear end, you shouldn't have a problem anymore!

Since I go my groomer every 6 wks. or so, she always does it during each appt., but if you go to your groomer less often and it needs trimming, you can EASILY do it yourself!

Concerning the urination stains, my two shih-poos (both males) had the same problem in the beginning as well, so my groomer trims the hair real short around that "area" really well to prevent the urine from hitting any of their hair. So far, it has worked great!

Anyhow, that's just my experience!

Hope that's of some assistance to you! :D

3. Mackie8494

Mackie8494 New Member

I did not know how common this was. The exact thing happened with Scrappy. It happened before our first grooming appointment. But after we started taking him to the groomer, she said to cut him really short there and like MyBabyShihPoo said, problem solved. :eek:

4. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I have this problem really bad with one of my poms. I got sick of having to cut it out all the time so I cut the hair really short back there as we werent due to go to the groomer yet.

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Yes, the problem is not uncommon at all! I hear about this problem all the time, and like I said earlier, I have experience with it myself. As I mentioned previously, just cut the hair really short in that area so you don't have to worry about the problem, and it saves you from having to watch your dog and be right there when he eliminates. :y_the_best:

6. nern

nern New Member

This used to happen to Sebastian once in a while when I kept his hair longer. I've been getting him shorter cuts (since the weather is warming up now) and have'nt had the problem in a while. As mentioned above, just having that area clipped short with help....I had to have this done to my long-haired cat as well.

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Okay, I'm jumpin on the POOP BANDWAGON TOO! LOL

We (I say WE cuz it was MEEEEEEEE that had the "projects!!") used to have this problem a lot..... usually the week before Bailey's grooming appointments. Well, just like mybabyshih said, I had her shave/cut the "rear seat" a little more than she had been. Sure enough... life is good! Same thing about the other area too.... he's trimmed more there also and now we don't have the pee stains either. (again, it's a WE thang...lol)

:0018:

8. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

Oh my goodness ya'll are great :lol: Glad to see I'm definetly not alone on this one, I guess I'll deal with my problem until his first grooming appointment.

But thats another question how young is too young?? OR when was the first time your pup had their first grooming appointment???

THANKS again! Ya'll were a GREAT help!!
    Riley'sMom O:)

9. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

most groomers won't until they have had all their shots ,your vet can clip that area or you can until the groomer can get to it .If you feel you cannot ,make a little trip to the vet .I have to clip mine all the time there .It is a problem with any dog ,small or large that has a full coat ,the small ones more prone to it though .
    have a great day :)

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Just to chime in here, my two shih-poos went to their first grooming appt. when they were 3 months old. :D

11. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Bailey went about 5 months old.... after all shots and the bordatella (?).

12. Bella3321

Bella3321 New Member

I need help with my dog!!!

Ok i havent wrote in a while but i need some tips with my dog! My dog is kind of like a poodle and she grows a lot of hair really fast, so sometimes her poop gets stuck on her tail and she has a hard time pooping. This hAS happened at least 5 times, and all those times we took her to the vet and she got put to sleep and she was shaved, but now its really serious. I tried cutting her poop off but she moved around too much. I also bought her a mussel so she won't bite me when im cutting her poop off, but she cries and moves a lot! I took her a bath but the poop won't come off!!! I dont know what to do now!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! ASAP!!! :(

13. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Bella, fill a tub with warm water and soak your dog's behind in it until the poop softens and you can get it off. Be prepared; if she hasn't been able to poop for a while, you're going to get dumped on.

Groomer's call clipping the rectal area a sanitary clip or potty path. Ask for either one, and you'll get what you need.

Now, about the age for a first groom. Most groomers like to do the first introduction to grooming between 12 and 16 weeks. A good groomer will only push a pup so far, so the groom may not amount to more than a bath, brush out, sanitary trim, and nail clipping. So don't expect perfection the first time or two.

One thing groomers REALLY hate is getting a 5 or 6 month old pup that's never been groomed, not even at home. If you can't keep the pup brushed out, all the way to the skin, get him to a groomer and let them do it. If you're worried about a young puppy not having all his shots, call a mobile or house call groomer. But don't bring in a 6 month old pup with a coat that's pelted, and expect us to do anything else but shave it off. Dematting is cruel, and it's just hair. It'll grow back. I've seen it happen.