1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ever delt with Kidney stones in horses?

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by hummingbird1994, Apr 19, 2005.

1. hummingbird1994

hummingbird1994 New Member

My parents horse has been showing signs of colic since Saturday morning. They've had a vet out twice and he hasn't been much help. He kept saying he would be fine, now $500 later, he says the only help now is to send him to the university for surgery which my parents can't afford or put him down. We can't bear the thought of putting him down. We have noticed that he can't urinate well and when he does it is very thick and stringy. His sheath area is very swollen and puffy. The vet ignored this and said it was just from the colic. This horse is pawing the ground and groaning, but hasn't actually got down and tried to roll yet. He does lay down on occassion to rest though. He does seem to be running a fever. After talking to some other long time horse people, they said it sounded like a kidney stone. One mentioned that you should massage and soak his sheath area in warm water. Said they had seen a marble size stone removed before. My question is there anything we can give him to help him pass it? Should we start him on an antibotic? What and how much? I know in goats you give an acid pack.
    Thanks for any help. Please post here since I'm at work and can't read email until late tonight at home.

April

2. hummingbird1994

hummingbird1994 New Member

Nevermind, he died...

3. horse_child

horse_child New Member

OH NO!!!!! I'm soooo sorry for your loss and that i didn't get here in time. now that i would have been any help cause i really haven't heard anything about this. I'm really sorry for your loss.