1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Expensive toy?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by lilest Budgie, Sep 21, 2004.

1. lilest Budgie

lilest Budgie New Member

I have a little parakeet (Budgie) and I was letting her play with my braclet, it is all pure silver and I was wondering, is that safe for her to chew on? I thought that nickel plated chains were not good, or some metal like that, but if I were to buy her a short silver chain for christmas, would that be safe?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi my cockatiels chew on my gold rings and necklace and done them no harm but i am not too sure about silver, I will find out for you and let you know.
    Funny how they prefer silver and gold over there own toys heheheh.

Mike

3. lilest Budgie

lilest Budgie New Member

heh, they love the shinyness, she just loves my necklace and bracelet so it'd be a perfect, expensive gift for christmas :lol: It'd be awesome if you could look into it for me Mike, I really don't know were to look

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I have done some checking and i cant find anywhere that says thats its harmful or not i know that nickle is but i dont know about real silver.
    I know my birds have a thing about nibbling on my partners necklace and that is real silver and its done them no harm but i would not want to say for sure it is safe..

My birds have a gold chain hanging in the cages as they love shiny things so i got them the chain...

Sorry i could not be more help.

mike

5. lilest Budgie

lilest Budgie New Member

hmm

Well, i dont see how it could be harmfull, but to be on the safe side, I think I'll get them a gold chain. Thank you Mike, you are very helpful to everyone on this site. Keep up the good work.
    :eek:
    Jenna

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi glad i can help people, Helping people is what makes me happy....

Mike

7. dude412

dude412 New Member

hello im not a bird expert or anything i dont own one but i was just lookin at the other forums and i never been in here so i checked it out and i have an idea for your toy thing if birds like shiney things could you make a ball of tinfoil on a chain or string would it work??

8. Lithium Kraft

Lithium Kraft New Member

BE CAREFUL! Some metals are doused in zinc to prevent rust. Any metal that uses zinc as an anti-rust will POISON a parakeet if he/she is to chew on that piece of metal. Parakeets can get zinc poisoning and furthermore pass away. Please be very careful for the sake of your parakeets when dealing with objects that aren't specifically made for them.

Parakeets like shiny thingies :)

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Gold and real silver is not coated in zinc as neither one rusts.

Gold and silver plated things do have zinc therefor toxic to birds.
    My budgies(parakeets) cockatiels and finches have gold chains in ther cages as they love playing with it and has caused them no problems at all.

So aslong as its real then its safe but always rinse them before placing in the cage.

Mike