1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Cuts?

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by CockatielCrazy87, Oct 28, 2004.

1. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

Hey everyone I have a quick question. I noticedyesterday that Zeke was keeping his left eye more closed then his right. I looked closer and saw a small cut on the top part of his eyelid. I though about calling the vet but my mother took a look at his eye and said as long as it doesent start swelling it should be fine but we should still call the vet and he pretty much said the same thing. Im just wondering if there is any creams or anything around the house i could put on his eye to keep it from swelling and to keep it from hurting him because it definatly is irratating him ( but what do you expect?). So if anyone knows of anything i would greatly appreciate it :D .

Thanks
    Sam

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

You can try applying vassaline to the area. That will help keep the flies off it and the irritation. But its best to just leaveit alone. If it starts to swell. you can always use a VERY small amount of DMSO on a cutip and apply it according to the directions. Watch for infection. If you knotice heat, a yellowish/green discarge he'll need antibiotics to help fight the infection.

Clean it witha cotton ball and some betadine. Then apply a very THIN layer around the OUTSIDe of the cut. You do not want it in side the area. That will help soften the tissue and promote healing. Other than that. Keep it clean. If it starts to "scab" up. Leave it alone. There may be some dirt in the scab. Thats ok. As long as the whole thing isn't a dirt clog.

It will heal quickly and more than likely (unless its really deep and big and in that case should have had stitches) there will be minimum scarring.