1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

False pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Labradorlovr, May 27, 2004.

1. Labradorlovr

Labradorlovr New Member

Hello, I have heard that once a female dog has a false pregnancy they keep on having them if you keep trying to breed her. If she has one does that mean that she should be spayed?

:?:

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

No, it does not mean she will have a false pregnancy every time.
    And my next statement I mean in the most polite way possible...If you have to ask a question such as this you should not be breeding PERIOD. Yes, indeed get her spayed.
    Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i agree with gina's statement about breeding.

I breed German Shepherd Dogs.
    Females who have false pregnancies usually have one on there next heat if this happens all the time then she should never be used for breeding as this can be a problem for future litters.

So yes spaying your girl is the best and kindest thing to do as after each false pregnacy the risk of ovarian cancer and mammary tumours becomes higher it aslo stresses out the female as they think they are pregnant and some even go through the whole process of delivering the imaginary puppies and they wonder where there babies are.

How old is your female and how many heats and false pregnacies has she had?
    mike.

4. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

On another board a womens dog went through a false pregnancy. Labour and all. At the time she had 2 "babies" a squeaky toy hamburger and hotdog. She would guard them when people cam to the house, and no one but the woman were allowed around her "babies". Even on walks she had to take one with her in her mouth the whole time.

The whole thing was very stressful for the girl.

Please spay your girl, she will thank you for it, and you will feel better after having it done.

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

bully - I guy i work with dogs did that. but then she had a litter of pups a year ago, he kept one female, and horray they are both being fixed this week-end.

honeybear

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

A friend of ours (no longer a friend) had a lab that did the same thing twice. Even went through the delivery the second time, during the contractions she hemmoraged in the uterus and died. False pregnancies can be serious. This was the second time she had done it. (after several attempts to breed).

I suggest getting your female spayed. Do you really want to risk something happening??? Or a chance of her passing this down to future puppies and them having to go throught the stresses of it??

My belief is that if any dog (breed worthy or not) shows any signs of defect, they should not be bred. This is an obvious sign of a defect, that the dog is not 100% healthy. Apparently there is something going on with her hormones that need to be corrected. At this point, you can have her spayed. If not, you will need to regulate her hormoes some other way, either pills daily or implants.

False Pregnacies are caused by hormones released during ovulation. During this process the falopian tubes "rub" the ovarie in order to release the eggs, and carry them down to be fertilized. Somwhere in this process you female, has skipped porducing the eggs and went straight into the pregnancy. ie: the uterian wall has began to thicken, cervex is tightened, and lactaion will occur.

I would have her FULLY looked over by a vet, and spayed.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

wow Sam, I thought false pregs were not a problem in dogs. the guy I work with had 2 of them before they bred her. (but then I never heard of false preg before that) so I am clueless

honeybear

8. Labradorlovr

Labradorlovr New Member

thank you for all the replys and yes i am going to spay her... thanks again!

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

years upon years ago I had a friend whose red doberman had a couple of false pregnancies and upon the advice of both the vet and the dog's breeder (they had a breeding agreement with her) they had the dog spayed.

10. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

Please spay her

It worries me that you did not do very much reasearch on breeding if you are asking a question like that. Sorry if I sound rude.

11. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Tgiles: most people that come on this board talking about breeding have not researched it. That's why when they ask for our opinion, we throw as much info at them as humanly possible to deter them from breeding. Almost everyone that I have seen have changed their minds except for 2. With those 2 we then try to help them out and give them as much info for breeding to ensure they are doing the right things.

It gets us all a little peeved when people talk about breeding and have no background.