1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

***Fat Cat Help me!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Tibz&Jigz, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Tibz&Jigz

Tibz&Jigz New Member

My Cat Tabi is 4 years old and is 15 pounds. I also have a 6 month old kitten Jacki but i dont know how much he weighs. I want to do somthing about Tabis weight what should i do? What kind of food..how much??? :roll:

2. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

give it a low fat kibble of some sort and dont overfeed it. only feed what you are suppose to. give it more exercise too. no snacks, no treats. if that doesnt work take it to the vet.

3. Tibz&Jigz

Tibz&Jigz New Member

To: Kylie How much do I give it??? How do i make it excersize if all he does it sleep?? :roll:

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

ive replied to your pm :)

5. Tibz&Jigz

Tibz&Jigz New Member

is there any advice from anyone else? help is needed!

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

did you check your message? i replied to it?

7. footsie

footsie New Member

Is the cat fat, or just big? 15 pounds is big but not huge. He might just be a big cat.

If you think he's really fat, switch to a weight control food. Feed the amount listed on the package, rather than letting him have food out at other times. All foods have thier own recomended feeding amounts, so you just have to follow the directions.

8. nern

nern New Member

There are several things you can do. Put him on a food that is less calorie dense than his current food, do not free feed but instead measure out his meals and schedule feed him, or try him on canned food.... its supposed to be helpful for weightloss when fed in the proper amounts.

9. Tibz&Jigz

Tibz&Jigz New Member

thanx every1 if there is anything anybody wants to add ur help is needed

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. What do you feed your kitty right now and how much are you feeding him? You may want to try to get your cat to exercise more, by getting a laser pointer toy. Most cats love to chase that little red dot all over the place. Also, cat trees/condos that go up to the ceiling are a good form of exercise as well as they have to climb up and down it. Are you sure he isn't interested in playing at all? Most cats do sleep a lot, but when they are awake they do like to play. I would try various toys and see if he would at least play twice a day for 10-15 minutes each time.

11. Tibz&Jigz

Tibz&Jigz New Member

Fat cat

Thanx chessmind that sounds good but the only thing he likes is ribbon but he eats it an throws up so i dont like to give him that...anyone else please help me everything is important!!

12. dolly

dolly New Member

Most cats will chase treats if you throw them. I'm not suggesting that you feed an entire meal of dry food this way, but if you make a game of feeding some dry kibbles by tossing them and making kitty fetch, this will get him moving.

13. nern

nern New Member

And there are also those balls which release treats when the cat rolls them around. If the cat really likes treats he will get exercise by rolling the ball around in attempt to get a treat from it. Maybe you can look into one of those?

14. fleafly

fleafly New Member

I have a cat that is 14 lbs, but he is not fat. Maybe you should consult with your vet on what an ideal weight would be.

Keep in mind cats should lose weight very slowly, I don't know the exact amount but I think it is about a pound per month. If they lose weight too quickly it can harm their health.

What kind of food are you feeding now? Maybe you can feed the lite version of that. Also when I had an overweight kitty she lost weight on lowfat food even though she was free feeding. The package amounts are suggestions and in my experience most animals require more than they say to feed them. Cats are good regulators. Unless your cat is gorging on the food it should lose weight on diet food even if it is free feeding.

15. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

Well I don't think your cat is that fat.Beacause my dad read somewhere that some lady feed her cat up to about 100 pounds!Your cat compared to that will probably be considered pretty light.So your cat does not relly have to go on a diet I think. :)

16. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

tibs you stated in a PM that you didnt want to take your cat to the vet but as fleafly said it would be a good idea as he might not even be overweight! and if he is they can suggest a proper diet.