1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

fat cat....

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by venom, Oct 17, 2004.

1. venom

venom New Member

ok well i have a indoor kitten which was an orphan that i rasied and an outdoor cat. the indoor cat is fat. very fat. could there be something wrong w/ her? i doupt it i think she is just fat but she has had worms in her life. thanks

Dillon Aurichio

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you could start with have a fecal exam done to rule out worms. Then maybe cut back on her food some and encourage play so she gets some exercise

3. venom

venom New Member

she doesnt finish her bowl of food she walks arounds the house and in the morning she runs laps in the house

4. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Venow there's a good chance then she has worms again also alot of people mistakenly assume if they just give thier pet an over the counter wormer the problem will be taken care of but in many cases that is not true, there are several different types of worms and most need a vets care to get rid of them. Also i'm sorry but i gotta ask, what's the deal with the outdoor cat? There is no such thing as an outdoor cat, cats are domesticated animals an "outdoor" cat is just an indoor cat that needs a home! :( It was very nice of you to take care of her but especially now it is getting cold most places, and even if it's warm where you are she still needs to come in also is He/she fixed? Please if you care about this kitty bring her in or find someone that will. ok? Good luck with the chubby kitty! :mrgreen:

5. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Can you please clarify......

Is it a kitten that is fat?
    How old is she?
    How much does she weigh?

as for worms....like Mary said...bring a stool sample to the vet. But I always thought that a cat with worms would eat a ton and not be overweight??

6. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Wtpooh just wanted to say true they don't gain weight but their bellies bloat making them appear fat

7. nern

nern New Member

I would have health problems ruled out first and then get her on a diet plan. If she is active but simply overeats it should be pretty easy to get some of the weight off by just reducing the amount you are feeding her.

8. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hi venom....welcome to the kitty forum!!!! :eek:

good to have a 16 y.o. GUY!! join us!!!! i think thats a first!!! :y_the_best: :D

we do have a couple other guys...john kelly, jt, and hmmm... two moderators chessmind and jay!!!

your kitty...are you feeding her light formula food?? and how much does she weigh?? sometimes they look much bigger than they really are if they are long haired. but...i figure you know that...so she must really be overweight...

when was the last time she was at the vet for a check?

9. venom

venom New Member

she weighs like i dunno.... 5, 10lbs. she went to the vet in the summer sometime..... if i were to pet her i could like pick up some fat so she is overweight. she doesnt overeat. she never really eats all her food i give her. she used to until my other cat (14yrs) had to be put to sleep. thats when she stopped eating as much.

10. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

ya gotta give us a little more than that venom!!!! :shock: :roll:

how old...

what food do you give....

when was her last trip to the vet?

does she exercise and play?

have you had any blood tests done? maybe she has an underactive thyroid....

what do your parents say about it....would they be willing to give you the money to take her to the vet for a blood check and overall health check?

11. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

It is possible she has an underactive thyriod gland. If she doesnt over eat and is still fat, that could be a good reason.

For underactive thyriod one of the symptoms is obesity.

The best thing u could do for her venom, is to take her to the vet for fecal work and a blood test.

If it is her thyriod, it's not something that will just go away. She will need to take medicine the rest of her life, and if left untreated can be fatal as the thyroid regulates everything in the body.

Usually just one little pill.

Good luck and welcome to the froum!

12. venom

venom New Member

shes 2, she exercises and plays, she was last at the vet in the summer like in june or something... i just raise the cats and feed em... my parents pay for the check ups and stuff. i have my hands full caring for my snakes. really my snakes are arond 5ft except for babies

13. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Maybe mention your concerns to your mom and see what she says.

One of my cats is chubby and has been since she was a kitten. She gets her regular exams and she is fine and healthy. The Vet did mention once to try to mix some dry food for overweight cats (I can't remember what it was called) with her normal dry food.

We didn't want to go to all dry food for overweight cats because our other cat is thin and would not be good for her.

We tried it for awhile but she didn't like it so we gave up on it. She's lost a pound even though she is not on the special food. Hurrah.

Anyway, I think some kitties are just chubby by nature.