1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Feeder fish era coming to a short end.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I have now realized that breeding my feeder guppies has not been as successful as it was thought to be. From everyone's experience with them it sounded like they were breeding machines and you would be over populated with them in about 2 months. However, in my case I only managed to breed about 25 in like 3 or 4 months if not more. I don't know whether or not i should dumb them in the tank with my ropefish and 4 female convict cichlids or just have them sitting there, but I want to move on. Any suggestions as to what fish I could easily breed next or other fish I could go out tho the lfs and buy?

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Would a ghost shrimp be a good choice to possibly try and start off with?

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

ghost shrimp are cool, but i dont think they breed like crazy, and besides.....look at them....pointless to breed them for food...lol

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

How so?

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well, when u look at them....u can see right through them and see every organ in them....not much meat or other nutrients on them, or atleast not that i know of.

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I see your point but still, i guess its comething at least.

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, none the less i love the way ghost shrimp look...if my fish wouldnt eat tehm i would be keeping some.....if you want, go for it.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I'm still open for other ideas.

9. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Just feed the guppys to your toher fish and breed cons if i want food they dont stop breeding and the fry grow fast. feeder fish are to much of a pain IMO. If you want live food try crickets, meal worms, earth worms.

10. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I'm trying to get rid of my cons and not get more. Lol!

11. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

my guppies bred like crazy, i had them a week before the first babies were born. before they grew up though, and when the second babies were about to be born, they all caught ich and died.

12. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Really! Were they fancy or feeder?
    I think that feeders are a bit harder to breed than the fancies, even though I have never owned a fancy guppy before. Lol.

13. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I have trouble keepin gups alive to

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are you trying to breed the feeders for?

In most cases, raising your own feeders really isn't worth the time/effort/expense. You'd be better off just buying treats like crickets, meal worms, shrimp, etc. Very few fish actually require other fish as part of their diet.

-Chelle

15. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I'm breeding feeders for two main reasons: 1. the fun of it, and 2. to give them to my ropefish as a treat. THen hopefully i will find something to give him to as a treat other than bloodworms !