1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding a Red-tail Shark

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I have a red-tail shark and I don't know what to feed it. Some sites said that they feed on algae and I didn't know that and recently the tank with RT had a whole lot of algae and I cleaned it, so what should I do?

2. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

All I know is that they're omnivors & they flake food, pellets & freeze-dried & frozen food. Im not sure exactly what freeze-dried or frozen food exactly to feed. I'll try & find out

3. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

Try feeding these-
    Tubiflex
    Brine Shrimp
    River Shrimps
    Blood worms

Im not completely sure that your RT will eat all of these so ask a lfs about it.

4. Used

Used New Member

I had a red-tail black shark a few years ago and I fed him algae waffers.

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Mine eats flakes, just put them under the "waterfall" from ur filter so they get pushed down into the water and he should eat em right up. They graze on algae and scavenge for food on the bottom to

6. dude412

dude412 New Member

as mwm said put it in the filter waterfall but mine like to find algae and they stick right on the glass and i feed plankton and sinking pellets

7. gravity

gravity New Member

My RTS pretty much never ate in front of me until I put brine shrimp in the tank for my gouramis. I've seen my RTS scrape for algae occasionally, but he never goes for flake food or wafers. Give brine shrimp a try.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Thanks, I have not seen mine eat anything in front of me cause when he sees me lift up the lid to feed him, he hides in his cave. Yes, I have given him brine shrimp, bloodworms and flake food, but still, I have not seen him eat yet. Hopefully I' ll find something he likes.

9. dude412

dude412 New Member

my rts used to hide when i came in the room they gte mor eused to you with time

10. gravity

gravity New Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I had my little guy for 3 months before I saw him eat anything at all. It's good that you're worried about your fish, but if he's not going for food that we all know he'd willingly eat, he's probably eating while you're not around.

Last night I saw my RTS eat flakes for the first time. I've always been concerned about not seeing him eat anything besides brine shrimp, but I can now lay that concern to rest.