1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Jennifer, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

Couple of questions here...hmm.

Baja who weighs about 25 pounds (give or take) eat 2 cups of food daily. One cup in the morning and One cup in the late afternoon/early evening. This has worked great for him.

But.. in the reading I've done.. it says that very small dogs need constant access to food. Is this true? I plan on asking the breeder tomorrow how she's been feeding the girls.. but would prefer to stick with out current feeding schedule. I have a philosophy of NILIF... so I don't give Baja contant access anymore... per his trainer's request.

Also.. what brands of food do you feed? The girls have been on Eukanuba (made by Iams) *rolls eyes*.. which I will be switching them off of!!! I'm currently feeding a high quality "meat lovers" food from my feed store that does not contain by products, very little grains and no BHT/BHA. I've been looking online at certain high quality foods... and finding them all lacking compared to the Meat Lovers. One even had ASH in the food! IN a high quality food!

I'm preparing Baja for their homecoming... 2 new beds in place.. new water dishes and feed dishes. I get the feeling that he thinks I've gone insane..LOL

:eek: Oh boy... only 24 more hours and I'll have these babies in my lap! :eek:

:D Jennifer :D

2. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Most toy dogs are different than larger dogs .I have talked at length with my vets about this subject and try to pass this info on to all .
    Toy dogs play hard ,live a very fast pace life ,eat a bite ....play ....eat a bite play ,eat a bite ...sleep etc ,puppies need to eat when they can ,usually often and not much at a time until they are older .To miss a meal can and does cause hypoglycemia and other problems .I and my vets recomend that food is left constantly for and in reach of the puppy .toys have a tendency to also be under alot of stress when going to a new home ,if along with the stress which is normal ,food cannot be gotten to ,you can have one very sick puppy in a short amount of time .
    Hope this helps .

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Great info. Malti! :y_the_best: (I leave my two shih-poos' food, which at this time is Nutro, down at all times!)

4. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

Hmm.. okay, I'll leave it down for them for now and see what their eating habits are.

These aren't puppies.. but still small... so we'll see. I've looked at the Nutro food.... but have to get it in Tulsa.

What about BilJac?? Is that good food??

Jennifer

5. ilovemaltipoos

I use eukanuba small breed ,nutro is good also .i do not know about the other .Ask your vet and check websites about it .
    Even if they are not puppies ,they can still be under alot of stress ,leaving the food will help with that ....

6. nern

nern New Member

My dogs eat Timberwolf Organics. I feed them twice a day. I can't free feed because Natalie is a chowhound and would eat all the food and become a blimp.
    If you are happy with the Meat Lovers food maybe you can try them on that? I think Nutro would be a better choice than BilJac.

All foods have ash...it is usually listed in the guaranteed analysis. It is the mineral content of the food.

7. ilovemaltipoos

If meatlovers is your food now ,I would stay with it if you are happy with it .
    nern is very right ,all have ash in it .