1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Feline Acne & cracked canine tooth

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by nern, Mar 6, 2006.

1. nern

nern New Member

Richie has feline acne. Its just blackheads right now but the vet says they can turn into pus-filled pimples. They are on his chin and below his lip and there are even a few on his belly (which won't turn into pimples according to the vet).
    Anyway, she told me to get some Stridex pads :shock: to wipe his chin with daily. I have never heard of using Stidex pads on a cat until now and interestingly enough, just yesterday, I saw a post on a different cat forum where another person's vet recommeded this for her cats feline acne as well. Just thought it was odd, hope it works.

Has anyone else here ever had a cat with feline ance before?

Rhiannon, who also went for her annual wellness exam, has a cracked canine tooth. A little more than the tip is cracked right off but not so much the nerve is exposed so its not currently a problem but might become a problem down the road. For the life of me, I can not figure out how she could have done that. It was'nt like that at last years appointment and although I do occasionally check their mouths I could have easily missed that if her teeth were clenched together. :?

2. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

Vianne has gotten acne on her chin before. She is very sensitive with her water dish. I used to use plastic automatic food and water dishes when i first got her, but that proved to be a problem. The water dish was the culprit. I quit using those unless i absolutely need to, like if i have to leave her alone over a weekend. She has ceramic dishes now, but i still have to make sure i actually WASH her water dish at least every other day, not just refill with fresh water, or else she will start to break out. I also give her distilled water as an added precaution.

You don't really need medication to get rid of the acne, as long as it isnt really bad/outta control, just remove the problem source and keep the chin clean. I used hydrogen peroxide or just plain soap and water with a guaze pad. Once when she had one fairly large pimple, i put a dab of benzoil peroxide cream on it, but otherwise it all went away pretty quick from just switching dishes and washing her chin. I never had to take her to the vet for it. It wasn't really a big deal and started clearing up literally within a few days.

3. nern

nern New Member

Thanks for the tips! :D

4. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Artemis has a chpped tooth too. I just noticed it about a month ago, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all so I've ignored it. It's just the tip of his canine tooth. I'll let the vet know on his check up next appointment anyhow. I guess that's what he gets for biting us and Moe!

I've never even heard of cat acne before.... weird.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

in the 80s I had a cat who had an acne problem....and then they weren't sure why, and I used plastic dishes. Tami was chronic. Vet had me use betadine to clean her chin - nasty smelling stuff.
    Having gotten wiser I have switched to ceramic and my existing cats have never had a problem with acne.
    Poor Tami's chin would get infected and it was so hard to clear up - wish I'd known then.
    And I've heard of Stridex being used. Can't imagine kitty will like the smell of those either

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think stainless steel bowls are best for preventing acne (I remember mom mentioning it when she was doing some FeLV research). Ceramic is not quite as good as stainless steel and plastic dishes are supposed to be really bad.

-Chelle

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Nern. It's pretty easy for them to chip one of their teeth. They are just so thin and narrow. Handsome (R.I.P.) had chipped a couple too. There was a raccoon outside and he lunged at the raccoon from inside, but there was a glass door between them and that's how he chipped them.

Also, I have heard of using the Stridex pads for feline acne.

8. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Zoe has acne. We have tired to use stainless steel bowls and keep them clean. It helped a little, but she still has it.

I actually took her to the vet when I first saw it. The vet said it was acne and as long as it didn't bother / itch her, that it's fine. So, we actually haven't done anything for it. Maybe I should try the Stridex thing.

Do you think the cat licking it from their chin would harm them? I'd worry a little about the chemicals.

9. nern

nern New Member

I use ceramic food dishes and plates, stainless steel water dishes, and I use one glass water bowl. I bought stainless steel dishes quite a while back and I can't remember why but I did'nt like them (or maybe the cats did'nt?) so I put them away and continued to use the ceramic ones. I have'nt found any acne on any of the other cats thankfully.

Chessmind, I did'nt realize how easily they could chip a tooth. Rhiannon is one of the clumbsiet cats here so I guess she could have cracked it on anything...maybe even falling off the table.

10. vene

vene New Member

Does Richie groom himself on a regular basis? Pumpkin and Monty are prone to cracked teeth as well and they are both indoor kitties. :roll:

11. nern

nern New Member

I see him grooming his face (licking his paw and wiping his face) once in a while but I rarely see him groom any other part of his body.

12. eman

eman New Member

what does grooming have to do with cracked teeth?

13. vene

vene New Member

Nothing, lol. I think kitties that groom themselves well are less prone to acne. Actually, that's not true. Acne is more noticeable in kitties with light fur like white, tans, and creams. Stress can also aggrevate acne. No one really knows what causes it but using plastic dishes (a breeding ground for bacteria) can cause acne. As for cracked teeth, my vet said that indoor cat that dine on processed foods are more prone to cracked teeth. They were meant to hunt and eat prey the natural way.