1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Female Bichon Poo Bahaviour

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Rebecca Eide, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Rebecca Eide

Rebecca Eide New Member

I own a Bichon Poo that is 2 years old. A very active happy dog. On occasion she will look under chairs and low objects then walk under them and act very strange. Like she is hiding and scared but only after she gets under them. Is she trying to make mystery in her life or could this be her trying to tell me something??

2. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Ghosts, you must have ghosts. LOL! Anyway, have her vision checked.......since my old lady has gotten dimmer and dimmer sight, she spooks at all kinds of hoodoos.

3. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yea Ditto to what Gypsy says..Maybe she cant see well in dark places???
    A vet check is always the way to go when you think something might be odd, it rules out any physical problems..Then you can work with her to find and search out her personality, things she doesn't like and things she loves, and things she is scared of, I'm sure it will be fine... :D

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

A trip to the vet is a good idea. And while you're there, ask if what's going on could be some type of seizure disorder. She's right about the age where some types of seizure disorders become evident, and some of the things you've described sound like it could be focal seizures.

I had a dog that would stick her head behind a curtain and freeze, standing there for several minutes, then go on as if nothing happened. Focal seizure. Another one would stand with one foot poised in the air for 30 seconds to a minute, then take three steps, vomit, and then act perfectly normal. Focal seizure. And I've seen many dogs who will suddenly act fearful, anxious; hiding and trembling, who are having focal seizures. A lot of them will develop "fly biting" activity; snapping in the air like they're trying to catch a fly that isn't there.

Now, DON'T get in a panic. I'm only suggesting this as one of many reasons for your dog's behavior. And even if she's suffering from a seizure disorder, there's still no reason to panic. All of the above mentioned dogs lived perfectly happy, long healthy lives and never required seizure control medications. It's just a little electrical "storm" in the brain, rarely progresses past the focal stage, and doesn't affect the quality of life. You just have to view it as one of their personal quirks, and realize that the dog isn't REALLY afraid, it's just their brain causing physical responses that look like fear.

5. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Now that is an interesting one, thank you for posting it. Might also add: seizure meds really aren't that big a deal. Had old dog on primidone for her epilepsy for the last 5-6 years of her life..........cheap, and just another pill in the am.........