1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

female budgie wont breed with male

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by plumbie03, Aug 10, 2004.

1. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

i have a male and a female budgie the male wants to mate and i dont know if the female will mate or not? what should i do. also the female is
    3-4 years old, iknw the male is old enough to breed so i think a 1-2 years old.HELP! :eek: [/i][/b]

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi the female will not mate unless she is ready to also if she does not accept the male as a good mate she will not allow him to breed with him.

Does she have a nest box, Plenty of cuttlefish bone and mineral block.
    What colour is her cere ( skin part above the beak )

Mike

3. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

my female cere is a pinkish tan and the boy is light blue and yes to all your questions and no to the nest box

4. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

would you start a family with out a home? try putting in the nesting box & see how It goes from there

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi most females will not mate unless they have a nest box you can buy one from any good petstore.
    You will find she will probably start mating and laying eggs within a week or 2 after the nest box has been introduced to the cage.

If her cere still has pink in it then she is not ready to mate yet anyway it goes a very dark brown like a dark chocolate colour.

mike

6. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

7. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

there is only one problem and this is that i don't have one of those special
    breding cages! so what should i do should i just cut a hole in the cage or what?

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Also, I think there are some kind of vitamins that you can give your bird to increase the chances of them breeding. In addition, try giving your birds extended periods of light!

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi never give any sort of supplements to promote them to breed as this can cause more harm than good.

If Your cage is a wooden one and you will use this cage for breeding then you can attach the nest box to the side simply cut a hole the size of the opening to the nest and another little hole for the perch to stick through make sure that you smooth the opening so they dont get cut then screw the nest to the cage but make sure the screws do not pop through the nest as when there is chicks in the nest the try to climb the sides and you could end up with chicks injuring themselves.

Mike

10. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

what are you talking about i have a normal cage do i need to get a special breeding cage?

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

What size is your cage.

The problem when breeding is that you need to make sure you have everything to start breeding from a large enough cage to accomodate a nest box or a breeding cage right upto the nest box.

Before breeding its always best to do as much research as possible as things do go wrong with birds just as easily as it would with any other animal.

The size of the cage is important as it needs to be big enough for the nest box plus the pair of birds and then the chicks if they do lay eggs.

There is no guarantee that the eggs the female lays will be fertile as some birds never produce fertile eggs so do some more reasearch on your birds before breeding them talk to other breeders in your area and they will help you get everything together to start breeding.

Mike

12. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

i know everything there is to know about breeding parakeets and my cage is like big enough for six budgies so is that good and i khave written
    down the breeding diet and i've look up everything there is to know about them so hurry and email me back

13. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

As i said in your other post since her cere is still pink she wont mate and wont lay any eggs until she is ready and this is not until her cere turns a very dark brown

Mike

14. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

they've been chirping and making little noises,bobbing their heads,and cleaning and feeding each alot! and her feathers on her head turned like a yellow but right by the cere and the very, very top of the cere is crusty
    and i put nesting material in the bottom all over yesturday and now it's in a big pile and i notice for some reason they keep going down to the bottom and moving the pile from here to there what are they doing and they've mated at least twice and i took them to school the one day and they started cherping and squacking and i coverd them up and the mated again i was so embarased when a kid told me when a kid told me when i came back from the bathroom and told me were is your birds and i looked in there and they were mating on the bottom.

15. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

What colour is your females cere.
    The problem with this is even though she maybe mating you have taken the birds out of there enviroment which is your hom and taken them to a classroom full of strangers which will disrupt her cycle.

When birds are breeding dont move them about leave them to it.
    You can put as much nesting material you like in the bottom of the cage but they are not nest builders.

If you plan on allowing her to lay eggs on the cage floor they will not hatch as they can not be incubated and turned properly by the parents.

Feeding, cleaning and singing to each other is normal even in same sex pairs also a male will mate with a female even if she is not ready but you will not get any eggs if she is not ready.

Please leave them at home when you at school taking them into a classroom of people is asking for trouble as the common cold can be deadly to your birds.

Mike

16. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

first i took them to show and tell just for the day and im sorry about the misunderstanding.

17. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI when any animal is going to be used for breeding its always best to keep them in a place away from noise and hustle this way you have a better success rate of breeding and rearing birds without any problems.

Sorry if i cam across abit blunt i didnt meant too..

Mike

18. plumbie03

plumbie03 New Member

also can they chew threw cardboard nestboxes?

19. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi yes they will chew through cardboard boxes as they chew more when they are ready to breed