1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Female Parakeet Killing Male Parakeet

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by gloamingX, Feb 28, 2006.

1. gloamingX

gloamingX New Member

I've had a female and male parakeet for quite some time now. About 4 weeks ago my parakeet had two babys. This is the first time they've had babys. I went grocery shopping today and when I came back I found the male bird laying on the bottom of the cage dead. I picked him up with some gloves and examined him. His head was bloody and so was an area under his left wing. After I examined the bird I looked in the cage and noticed alot of blood on the pole they stand on, the food cup, and the female birds feathers. The baby birds were unharmed.
    My birds have never fought before. Im thinking that it may have had something to do with the baby birds. Could someone tell me why this happened?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi I am sorry for whats happend.
    Parakeets are very aggressive during breeding and raising chicks.
    The problem is that these birds may not have bonded together very well as they usualy make good parents, Your female may have seen the male as a threat and that s why she has killed him.

Its unlikely she will harm her chicks but i would advice never to breed from her again as these traits get passed onto her offspring.

How old where both birds and how long where they together before allowing them to start breeding?

Mike