1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fin and Tail rot???

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Trickster, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Im not positive, but i suspect my betta of having fin/tail rot. When i 1st got him he had a damaged tail top, probly from being transported over to the store, i knew things like tht happened, but lately i noticed on the lower part of his tail it looks like its rotting away, im not sure. :( Are there any other signs of fin/tail rot?? :?: :?: :?:

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sometimes with fin rot there will be some white gunk along the edges of the fins, but just the fact that they appear to be deteriorating is a pretty good sign. What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? If your water parameters are okay or once you get them okay, then you can treat the fin rot with an antibiotic like Maracyn two.

Here's a couple pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Chelle

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

The pictures u showed me, are those all pictures of tail rot??

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes.

-Chelle

5. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Then im pretty sure he has it.........ah ****! I might be getting a job, if i do then i can pay for the medicine, if not, well.......... is it possible for tail rot to heal itself????

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

My bettas will sometimes get very mild cases of fin rot after I do a water change (probably slight differences in water pH or temperature) and those generally heal themselves. But those are extremely mild cases. Most times meds are needed. Maracyn two really isn't overly expensive. Big Als has it for about $3 or $4, but you'd have to pay about $5 shipping. I can get it at my LFS for around $7.

What size tank is the betta in? Is it filtered? How often do you do water changes?

You can try just doing lots of water changes, but I'm not guaranteeing it will work.

-Chelle

7. Trickster

Trickster New Member

I got medicine for $5, its a fungus care. For fin/tail and mouth fungas. Its a .5 gallon (1/2 Gallon) and its of course not filtered.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What's the active ingredient(s) in that?

How often are you doing water changes? In a 1/2 gallon, you should be doing them about every 2 - 3 days. Otherwise the ammonia will build up and can cause ammonia burns or a weakened immune system which can lead to the fin rot.

-Chelle

9. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Every 2-3?!!?!?!?!!? wow i do them once a week.... thats not good, U think thts the reason for the tail rot?

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Probably. You should get a test kit for ammonia.

-Chelle