1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Final Piranha Conclusions

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by RedBellyMike, Jun 18, 2004.

1. RedBellyMike

RedBellyMike New Member

Ok ive read the things you guys have answered about my Red Belly piranhas so now could some tell me if i got this right. Ok i should get two more piranhas so they work as a group, and not just one because they will compete. also eventually as they get bigger i should move them to like a 55-75 gallon tank? for food brine, blood worms, insects, feeder goldfish, guppy etc.? and lastly is it ok that the two more piranhas are going to be smaller then the first one i got?
    THANK YOU BIG TIME. ill probabely have more questions so thanks for answering these.

2. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

In my humble opinion, either get them in the same size or don't get them.. They may become food. If you're keeping 3 red bellies in a 75gallon tank.. than i personally think its alright.. Best of Luck

3. EnFuego

EnFuego New Member

3 Redbellies would be good for a 75 gallon for life (the 55 will last for a long time, but as they grow large it will be hard for them to turn around since 55 gallon tanks are so skinny). There should be variety in the diet, but what you have listed is good. If you are going to feed them live food, don't use goldfish, instead you should use rosy red minnows. Goldfish have no nutritional value at all.

Also whenever you add fish to the aquarium you might want to change the tank set up (the decortions and hiding places). This will take away any territory that the fish already in there have, and it will be like all 3 are moving into a new home, not just like the 2 new red bellies are going into the one you already have's home. And it is a good idea to get them as close in size as possible.

Check out www.piranha-fury.com . they have good forums over there specifically for piranha.

4. tmwhite

tmwhite New Member

goldfish nutr. value?

what do you mean goldfish have no nutritional value? what specific nutritents do they lack that rosies have? what would you recommend feeding to redbellies?

5. tmwhite

tmwhite New Member

goldfish nutr. value?

what do you mean goldfish have no nutritional value? what specific nutritents do they lack that rosies have? what would you recommend feeding to redbellies?

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, since piranhas are carnivorous, feeder fish do have some nutritional value (when we say they don't for oscars, that's because oscars are insectivores).

If you're going to use feeders, do NOT buy them from a store. That's the #1 way to introduce all kinds of nasty diseases to your fish. You'd be much better off breeding them yourself or not using them at all.

-Chelle

7. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

bs dont listen to them about the food give them a varity tho for ur Ps. Also u should raise ur Ps together, and they should not be too much smaller of will be lunch

8. fishaddict

fishaddict New Member

I am relatively new to the piranha scene but have done a lot of research and been helped by a bunch of people at diff levels of piranha raising. First off, feeders are decent.(nutritionally)..they have more fat than rosey reds, but the essentials you are getting that are not found in all flake, etc I believe has to do with components found in the fins, gills, and tails, etc. I have been feeding mine a combination of flake and feeders and occasional "treats" and done alright(but plan on diversifying more)....they are breeding (something I only have experience with guppies). About tank size, I have two full grown in a 55 and believe it is on the small side ... I would say you would do best with a 75 or 90 for three because as they grow they will have more "room to stretch" especially when feeding (but someone was saying you may not need one that large for a while, so if you wanna wait, that would probably be cool). Lastly, piranha are hardy fish, yet they can sometimes be picky when it comes to territory and "new friends" so matching size would be good, but you could potentially still have problems. I believe people should try to give their pets as a good a life as possible...people often abuse their piranha or expose them to unnecessary risks in their feeding (disease, or trauma in the case of mice, or place them in too small a tank, etc) That is all I got to contribute...hope it helps.