1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

finch died :(

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by fresh, Sep 9, 2004.

1. fresh

fresh New Member

my female finch just died after a life of 6 months :(

It was always fighting with her male brother to the point of making him bleed, so I separated them but kept their cages next to each other. 4 days later, she died!!!

she was a lot more active than her brother, who was bleeding from 2 spots, but yet, she is the one that gave up and died even though she was looking very healthy!

what could be the cause of this? The male is still fine and his wounds are healing very fast. I am only a beginner at bird-keeping, so this is setting me back quite a bit!!!

thanks

fresh

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i am sorry for your loss.

Female birds are very agressive around breeding time and even thought they are brother and sister the chances of them mating would have been high.

Was there any signs they have been mating as egg binding (egg stuck in oviduct) can cause death if not treated immediatly..
    Also birds hide illness very well and there is no indication they are ill until its too late.

Also it has been know for birds that have been in the company of another bird example say a pair and one dies or gets loose and escapes the other bird has known to just pass away for no reason.

I am guessing that it may have been egg binding but unless an avian vet takes a look at the dead bird and does tests then there really is no way of knowing the cause of death sometimes all it takes is the common cold and the bird becomes sick.

Again i am sorry for your loss.

Mike

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Sorry to hear that. :roll: :oops: :? :cry: :cry: :|