1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Finch Eggs!!!!!!1

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by iobre8ks, Nov 3, 2004.

?

How many eggs do you think my female Finch will lay?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2004.
  1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

As most of you know i have been trying to breed zebra finches. After a tough start one of my pairs has finally laid an eggs. The first one was laid today. I am so excited to see how many she will lay and what they will look like.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi congrats on them laying well mine had 6eggs but the female abandoned the nest so the eggs died :( the average for a finch is between 4 and 6eggs but it has been known for them to lay 8 eggs but they usually cannot sucessfully raise them all.

You will find even though she is in the nest she will not incubate the eggs properly until 2-3have been laid this is so they hatch round about the same time.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Mike

3. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I have two eggs now. Yeah!!!!!!!!

4. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I have four eggs now.

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Congratulations looks like she is going to have 6 -8 eggs careful eye needs to be kept on her if she has more than 6 as some of the eggs may not hatch and if all do then you will need to keep checking to make sure the parents are feeeding all the chicks..

Good luck and you count 14days from the day the 3rd egg was laid as they should all hatch around the same time

Mike.

6. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

she had four and my other pair started to lay at the beginning of the week and layed four.

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hiya congratulations my finch's have 4eggs too and should hopefully start hatching next week...

Make sure that the room is kept at the same teperature all the time otherwise the chicks can get a chill and die.

Also make sure they have soft foods to feed the chicks as once the eggs hatch the parents will eat quickly and will not dehusk the seeds properly which can result in inpaction of the crop in the chicks.

Are your finch's over 8months old as someone on here has just lost 2 of his chicks due to the parents being to young to raise them.

Got my fingers crossed all your eggs hatch and babies are well will add pictures of my chicks if the hatch....

Mike

8. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

Three of the eggs have hatched the other should hatch tomorrow. I am so excited. Yeah!!! Three babies and one for one pair and then the other pair has three that are scheduled to hatch next monday.

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Congratulations are parents taking good care of them???

i have 4 eggs due to hatch in next couple of days hopefully fingers crossed...

Hope to see piccys of your little ones when they are abit bigger...

Good luck and again congrats...

MIke

10. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

The parents are taking excellent care of them when i open the cage door the parents go nuts and fly right into the next and protect the babies. I am feeding them the normal finch food, nestling food plus, and Petamine breeding formula. They all have many vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Which are all good for the birds while raising young. It keeps them healthy and in the best condition to raise young.

11. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

The fourth one did not hatch today.

12. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI give it 20days from the day it was laid before you remove it this way if it is fertile and slow at growing you still have a chance of it hatching..

Mine have not started to hatch yet i have checked and they are fertile guess just have to wait and see what happens..

Mike