1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Finch eggs hatched

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by charmedagain, Nov 22, 2004.

1. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi everyone just thought i would let ya all know 2 of my 4 finch eggs hatched this morning parents are being great they are so tiny and cute will get pictures when they are a bit bigger as they are too small to pick up on the camera hehehehe...

Mike

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

:eek: Congrats on your babies!

3. zarate

zarate New Member

Congrats Mike!!! How exciting. I now have 6 zebras, 2 of which are young and 2 that are between 8-10 months then the other 2 are I guess 2 years old (got these from my neighbors that are moving) Unfortunately my moms finches never laid any eggs, but really enjoy sleeping in their nest. I'd love to have the one pair of my zebras have a clutch. I currently have them separated from the other 4 younger ones, and I've got a nest in their with some materials to build....so what else do I need to do to encourage breeding? Also....what other finches can be kept with zebras? Eventually I'd like to a nice big aviary with different kinds of finches....they are the neatest little guys. Who needs TV when you have birds! Thanks for any replies!
    -Mandi

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi first you need to be able to tell the sexes which is very straight forward and simple the males have orange cheek patches the females dont...

Once you have them in pairs and given them the nesting box and material to build the nest you then need to provide them with 14hours of light which could be a normal house light switched on but it must be a full spectrum light meaning it must light up the whole room.
    The temperature of the room needs to be kept them same at all times and they need somewhere thats quiet where there is not alot of people coming and going or alot of noise..

Introducing soft foods such as whole wheat bread, A special egg food designed to hand feed or wean baby birds helps with the breeding process.
    If you have a small plant spray bottle you can buy these from any household shop turn the nozzle so it sprays out a mist fill the bottle with warm water making sure that it has no chemicals in the bottle and lightly spray the birds feathers they usually lay within 48hours of rain fall in the wild so this stimulates them to breed.

Once there nest is complete remove any material that is left over as finch's are sandwich nest builders which means they will just build more of a nest ontop of the one they have and any eggs that might be in the nest at the time.

Once everything is to there liking you will have eggs.

You can keep all different breeds of finch's together aslong as if any fighting breaks out which usually does around breeding season the offending party is removed and housed on there own.

Some finch's have been known to mate with a different breed of finch rather than pair up with there own species..
    But other than that all finch's can be kept together...

Mike

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI everyone one of my baby finch's died :( have no idea why other one seems ok and the other 2 eggs have started to hatch just hope they will all be ok...

Mike

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Sorry to hear about one of our babies. The rest should hopefully do fine, they have you after all.

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Another egg has hatched and the other baby is still ok i just don't understand what happend to the one that died.

I have only ever had chicks die due to the parents killing them but finch's don't kill there young :( :( :( ..

Will keep you all updated on the others progress..
    Mike

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Well guys all the chicks have hatched and died :( :( :( i figured out what was wrong and it was the parents were attacking the chicks and killing them. Zebra Finch's are not known for killing there young trust me to get 2 evil ones. I have never had this happen before apart from my cockatiels killing 3out of 4 of there chicks while i was away on holiday and a friend was supposed to be looking after them.

Anyway i am going to try again in the spring see if that helps and see what happens if this happens again they will never lay another egg.

Mike...

9. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Sorry to hear about your babies. Atleast you figured out what happened so you can look out for it next time.