1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

finch question need help

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by armandndeb, May 10, 2005.

1. armandndeb

armandndeb New Member

Hello, this is the question, I received 2 finches for mothers day gift, the pet store where my son bought them did not know the sex and the kind they are was not displayed, I know its hard to sex them, my question is what kind are they.
    They both are a brown, black, white and alittle reddish mixed in, there tails are black and white, one is larger with no markings on the cheek, the other has white markings on the cheeks, I would be so happy if someone could tell me, maybe in the soceity family but what kind? I also received a new male keet for mothers day, his name Mr Bo Jangles{Bo} for short, hes joining sky, blue, sunny and gg, we are one big happy happy family

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi and congratulations on the new additiosn did you have a nice mothers day.

Sounds to me like you have Zebra finch's
    Males have a much brighter red beak the females is more of an orange.

there is some pictures of zebra finch's at
    www.birdshelpline.bravehost.com

Mike

3. armandndeb

armandndeb New Member

there beaks are brown black,

there colors are brown, black and white patchy almost like chocolate, and yes I had a very nice mothers day, thank you for asking. I don,t think there zebras?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I bet they are society finches as they are very common. You can't tell the sexes apart by looking at them. But you can watch their behavior. If one starts to sing and make displays, he's a male. :)

You can see my birds and hear a society song here: http://home.everestkc.net/tnewman/birds/birds.htm. Rufus is a male society. After you click on the link you may have to wait a little bit for it to load, even though it looks like it is doing nothing.

6. armandndeb

armandndeb New Member

thank you so much they are soceityM

My two are just like yours only more darker colors with the white, I beleive though research they are called pied chocolate's I have named them coco and cookie, I know I have a male but not sure about the other one, it just chirps slightly but are snuggly, but one is larger than the other one like yours, I,m so hoping they are a pair, also do they or can they have fresh grasses to nibble on ?

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Mike can answer that one better, but I THINK they can as long as you are sure the grasses have never been sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals. I know you're also supposed to be careful if you put a whole plant in the cage that the pot does not have fertilizer added to the dirt.

Don't give them grass before Mike answers, though. I have only owned my birds for a couple of months.

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member