1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

First Bird??

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by SugarLovesPits, Oct 12, 2004.

1. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Was just wndering if anybody can recommend a good first bird,I really wanna get a bird I love them and I really love big birds. My favorite is a Cockatoo I also love Blu and Gold macaws. But I was told they are not good for first time bird owners, so can somebody recommend something?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI large breed birds are not recomended for first time bird owners.
    Cockatiel easily trained can learn to whistle tunes and the males can be taught to talk.

Budgies (parakeets) are also a good first time bird also again easily trained providing kept on its own as with all birds it takes longer and alot more time to train more that one bird,

Mike

3. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

I go with budgie there soooo cute & have so many colors to choose from
    kathy

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My first bird was a cockatiel

5. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think iwill start with a cockateil and work my way up!!

6. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

I think a cockatiel is a great bird. Known as the friendliest of the parrots their wonderful birds. I own three Scooter, Hope, and CloudyI love them and they are my favorites out of our 8 birds. If you want to train your bird to talk you might want to get a Male because they are easier to train to do so. But also female can learn to talk but they like to whistle more then take and are friendlier but more shy then Males. and Males can be just as friendly you just have to raise them right. Um if you want more info on Cockatiels of even Parakeets or Lovebirds you should go to www.Cockatielcottage.net and go to the message board and post there. I go there allll the time and the people there can help you find the perfect bird for you. Good Luck

Sam

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Both male and female cockatiels can be taught to talk but the female is less likely to learn and finds it harder to learn tunes and her whistle is more like a screech than a whistle the male on the other hand can pick up alsorts of different tunes.

Females can become very agressive when there hormones are flaring up and they wanting to breed the males are the same but tend to take it out on there mate.

I find its easier to train and tame male birds of all species than it is the females as they tend to be a little stubborn and dont really have the ability to learn new things this is not too say it cant be done.

So if i was to get a cockatiel i would go with a male.

Mike

8. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

I totally agree with you Males are much better to train. I own two male Tiels Scooter and Cloudy and they are alot less touchy then Hope my female.