1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fish Behavior

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by RottweilersRule, Aug 15, 2004.

1. RottweilersRule

RottweilersRule New Member

Why do fishes sometimes rub their side against objects.. is it equivalent to a male dog liftin up his leg and urinate on a certain object trying to claim...? I'm just curious.....

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

sometimes i think they jsut have an itch....if they start to do that alot in not the long of a time though, then it probably have parasites. and its not that equivilant as a dog trying to claim an object, b/c the way the fish would claim it is to chase off anything else and maybe attack it (if its aggressvie)

what kind of fish is it?

3. RottweilersRule

re

mostly all my fishes do it.. but there in perfectly good health... they are tiger barbs, red tail shark, and clown loaches, the others that i have dont do it though.......

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How long have you had the fish or have you had added any new fish recently? How long have they been itching (it's called flashing btw)? How often do they do it (once or twice a day, or several times an hour)?

-Chelle

5. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Sometimes (in my cases) the fish have a parasite disease called ich. My oscar, walleye, perch have all died from it. You can see little white parasites on their fins, gills, or head. Usually ich isn't deadly, when it happens I just feed them normally and don't do any water changes then it goes away. But yeah they probably just have an itch if you cant c anything wrong.

6. RottweilersRule

re

Im guessing they do it like twice a week

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

thats nothing to worry about then