1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fish eggs in my tank!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by vonie, Oct 11, 2004.

1. vonie

vonie New Member

Hello, I woke up this morning with fish eggs attatched to glass and filter of my tank! I dont know who laid them or what to do with them!! help please! I have a pair of red tail sharks,a pair of cories, 3 guppies,4 mini tetras and 1 placotamus.so far the fish do not appear to be eating them.Thank you, Vonnie

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

it was eiter the sharks or the cories....guppies had live babies...cna you psot any pictures? also, have you noticed any of the shakrs or cories exhibiting unusaul behavior?

3. vonie

vonie New Member

Helllo, Thank you for ressponding. No unfortanately cant post pictures yet.My female shark stays in our rock house almost all the time. She is the only fish who goes in our out.If it was her i wonder if she could have more eggs in there? Or why woulld the eggs be on the glass? I guess i am going to try to move some of the eggs into holding tank. I dont have a clue how long before they might be born .Do you?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big is your tank? Generally RTS's don't tollerate eachother very well so I'm curious.

The eggs are definitely not from the guppies or the pleco. When RTS's do breed (which is extremely rare) they lay their eggs in caves, so it's probably not them either. Tetras are egg scatters meaning they lay their eggs a few at a time on things like plants so if your eggs are large clusters on the glass, it's probably not the tetras. They could possibly be the cories or if you have any snails in the tank, they could be snail eggs as well.

-Chelle

5. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

I'm willing to bet vonie has a snail she hasn't told us about.

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

im almost 100% sure it ISNT the RTS they Rarely ever breed in aquariums ive only heard of them breading in MASSIVE heated ponds..

7. vonie

vonie New Member

Back to my eggs lol!

Thanks all who took the time to respond to my post! Eggs didnt hatch allthough i tried putting some in holding tank. No snails I was told snails would over take my tank. I only have a 10 gallon tank but i have a rock house where the smaller rts lives most of the time, She is the only one to get in or out. She was out today for longer than usual but she does get tired of running from the larger rts. But now that my banana plant took root and leaves getting large she can get away from him under there to. Her rock house is like a little cave woulnt it be cute if babies game out someday? Bye for now, Vonnie

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

How do you know its a female? and try to get a bigger tank ASAP

9. gravity

gravity New Member

Vonnie -- your red tailed sharks need to be in at least a 25 gallon tank, or a 20 gallon long. They can get to be 5-6 inches long and need lots of room to swim around. Also, red tailed sharks are usually quite aggressive to their own species, so it's likely that one of them will kill the other one as they are generally more aggressive as they get older. Even if they don't kill each other, they still need a much larger tank than the one they're in. Good luck!

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'll second that and add that your pleco is likely going to need a larger tank too. Unless it's one of the less common, tiny species, it's going to get too big for a 10 gallon or be severely stunted.

-Chelle