1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fish growth

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by M_wm, Nov 19, 2004.

1. M_wm

M_wm New Member

This is probaly a dumb question but when fish are very tiny (fry) Is it true they grow faster in a bigger tank? if so why? i have 4 tiinnnyyy convict fry in my 5g so i was just wonering :?:

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I have read that fish will produce a growth limiting hormone. The more fish and/or the smaller the amount of water, the more quickly it will build up so the more slowly the fish will grow. And some fish will be more affected by the hormones than others. Which would account for the differences in size of fry from a single batch. If I'm not mistaken, the reason for the hormone is that the larger fish will eventually be able to eat the smaller ones (sort of a survival of the fitest thing).

I know someone that was raising 2 african clawed frogs from tadpoles. One kept growing and become a frog while the first one stayed a tadpole. She had to separate them when the frog became nearly large enough to eat the tadpole.

So if your water parameters are all okay, then this could be the case.

Or at least that's one theory that I've read about hear & there. I haven't really done any in depth looking into it.

-Chelle

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

As far as I am concerned, Chelle is right. The size of your tank, and crowding can have a real growth inhibiting effect on many fishes. I inherited two gold severums that have not grown in 2 years from being in an overstocked 125 gallon tank. They are currently only about 3 inches long. I expect them to grow very quickly now that I have re-located them.

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i heard that they only grow to their environment but that dea was washed out for some fish in an article.

My fry were transferred in to a bigger tank and they shot up to adults i days!

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I have 5 platy fry that are all around the same age. 4 I kept in a breeder box and one was lost in the aquarium because I didn't know he was there.

Anyway, right now the one that was in the aquarium is almost as bis as my neons. I let 2 of the other's out early and they're almost as big as the first one. The two that I left in are in the aquarium now but they're almost half the size of the rest.

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

A bit of a late reply...but...i have found that tank size really makes no difference. Once in awhile you may come apon a fish that it may have a minor difference but usally the growth is limited to the water quality and the hormone levels. Though a small tank may stunt the growth of a fish for a short period of time depending on the location.

7. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Thanks everyone