1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

flea/tick control?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Alabamamom1, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

:-# I am just wondering what everyone uses for flea and tick control, and how well it is working for them. I have tried a couple of different kinds, but I am just wondering what everyone's different opinions are. I love to get all the different views, especially since it is getting warmer and they will be here soon, if not already!

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Hiya Alabamamom!
    I use "Frontline PLUS" for Bailey and it's worked WONDERFUL for him!! I've never seen a flea or tick on him -- and it doesn't bother his skin.

I think I remember a thread on the old board on this too...... not sure tho.

3. nern

nern New Member

I use Advantage for fleas....ticks don't really seem to be a problem in my area.

4. JMTooTall

JMTooTall New Member

Quick question for anyone and everyone. Is Frontline administered via drops put on the back of the dog's neck/body? If so, can you still wash the dog regularly? Tis the season :)

Thanks!

5. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Well ,mine is a little more complicated ,so this is what I use ...On adults ,I dip and also use a topical ,frontline ...usually ...On Puppies I use revolution...

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

JMTooTall:
    Yes, the Frontline is the drops/liquid that you apply between the shoulder blades.....lasts 30 days..... and, if I remember right, you can bathe him two days later -- so, it does NOT wash out. Anyhow, so far, so good! Bailey is just about 11 months now and we've never encountered any problems.
    But I did hear of one person whose dog got "burned" by the stuff - :( (I don't know if it was frontline or advantage). I heard that happens, altho it's rare... so you definitely have to watch the area the first couple of times for a reaction.

7. karma

karma New Member

We use Frontline- yes, it goes on the back of the neck, and it's supposed to sustain washings and rain. Since we've been using it, have never had a single flea. Oh, and it also seems to last through the almost daily swimming our dogs do in the summer.

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I too use Frontline Plus, and am VERY happy with the product!!! :idea:

One of the cats I rescued had fleas, and after just the first appication of Frontline Plus (for cats), her fleas were gone for good...so the product truly does work, and is very effective! :D

Obviously, the key is too make sure you continue using it monthly...it can easily be forgotten! :!:

9. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

:-# So, can anyone tell me the difference between Frontline Plus and Frontline? Is either one really any different, in your opinion? Has anyone tried the regular Frontline and changed to Frontline Plus and had a better experience?

The people who used Advantage, have you ever gotten fleas on your pets, even if a few while using the drops?

I am sorry if I seem so dumb about this subject. I have used a couple of different treatments, but neither of these two and I would really like to try something else.

Ilovemaltipoos, do you dip your maltipoos? How often do you have to dip?

10. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

:? Last summer I used the K9 Advantix, from the research that I have done it is "supposed" to be one of the best. It is supposed to kill fleas w/in 12 hours of contact. But it also does come w/ the waterproof tag that is on the Frontline Plus. Maybe that is the problem, I have allergies and have to wash Romeo frequently. The point is that I had MAJOR flea problems w/ Romeo last summer and spent a small fortune trying to rid my dog and house of these critters.

Frontline Plus, says that it is for flea infested areas on the website I looked at and if everyone hear has had good experiences w/ it, I think I will give it a try. I am sooo worried, I just don't want to have to go through all that crap again this year. Well, wish me luck..... ](*,)

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

With the flea products. They kill any flea that may bite them. I use advantage. I don't usually do it every 30 days. Once in a while if I do find a flea, you can tell if it has bitten, because they are very slow and easy to catch. I do it about every 5 weeks or so. If in cooler weather longer. The solution supposedly soaks into the dogs fat cells. After that you can bath without a problem. As someone above said wait a few days then bathe.

12. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

It is my understanding that Frontline just kills the adult flea(s), but Frontline Plus kills both the flea(s) along with flea eggs. Since fleas are a definite concern here in the Midwest, I prefer Frontline Plus. And like I said before, I am extremely happy with it.

Hope that helped! :D

13. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Alabamamom,
    I, too, bathe Bailey more frequently than most. He gets a bath once a week and his Frontline Plus lasts the 30 days. So, it sounds like it would work for little cutie Romeo! :)

I also have allergies.... and don't have any problems with Bailey either. But get me around a dog with fur ----- and Lord have mercy on my sneezinnnn and sick soul! :-&

14. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

Thanks to for telling me the difference, I would much rather spend the couple of extra $ for the Frontline Plus to get rid of all of the fleas instead of some of the fleas. Especially since fleas are so bad here during the summer. :eek:

It is really good too that I can bathe him after a couple of days b/c Romeo gets a bath at least once every week to week and a half, depending on what he gets into. :lol: He doesn't bother my allergies, but if I don't bathe him he will. Soo... Thanks to all for all of the advice, I truly appreciate your wisdom. :D

15. CoCo's Mom

CoCo's Mom New Member

Hi, CoCo's mom here. I got my puppy Coco in June. I researched this site on what was the best flea control and I decided to use the Frontline plus based on the good remarks everyone was saying. I have been using this but CoCo has been scratching alot. I checked her about a week and half ago and found fleas on her. It was around the 24th day of the 30 day treatment so I administer another dosage. I figured it would take a couple of days to clear things up so I was not real concerned. I checked her last night and still found fleas on her. The house is not infested. She does go visit her at her aunt's house where there are dogs and cats. She could have gotten the fleas from there. But would they not die after a few days? I guess I need someone to explain to me how this works or if there is something better to do. I thought of calling the vet. Any suggestions? Thanks for this website, it has helped me so much.

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

If you are bringing your dog where there are fleas, they still can jump onto coco. After they bite her they will die. You can tell if a flea has biten, they move much slower. If you are in a hot area where fleas run rampant from feral cats or what not running thru your yard, your dog will pick them up. Maybe spraying your yard would be good, if thats the case.

Sometimes certain brands just don't work out for some dogs and you need to try a different brand. advantage works well for us. But for my sisters dog it does not. She uses frontline.

As for bathing Let it soak in for maybe a good week then bath. Or put it on a couple of days after a bath.

17. jcarilyn

jcarilyn New Member

Sorry for bringing up such an old topic, but are these products safe for puppies? Baxter is 9 weeks old, and he's been scratching for about 2 days, so despite being a puppy chew toy, I checked him, and did find a couple of fleas on him. He must have had the eggs, as our cat doesn't have them. I just don't know what to use on a such a little boy.

18. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

Yes, you can put the topical treatment on a puppy. Especially now that you found a flea(s).... We were told to put it on him immediately when we brought our puppy first home. I also use the Frontline Plus and have never seen a flea. I used it religiously (once every 30 days) on him while a puppy and have just recently started to extend that to every 5 or so weeks and haven't seen any signs of fleas.