1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

fleas

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by winnie, Sep 13, 2004.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

So about a week ago my best friend was telling me that her dog has fleas. So yesterday we hungout and took are dogs to the park together and then she brought her dog over to my house, where it was on the couch and everything else. I then remembered her saying that her dog had fleas a week ago and I asked her if she still had fleas. She said yes, that she found two on her the other day. I got annoyed because she knew her dog had fleas and then brought her over to my house where my dogs could get them or even worse they could get on my furniture and in my house. Do I have a right to be a little annoyed? And also if fleas start to become a problem in my house because of this how hard is it to get rid of them? If it's expensive do I ask her to help me pay for the cost? After Sydney's pill episode I can hardly afford anything. What do you guys think?

2. seaecho

seaecho New Member

You are correct in thinking she was being very inconsiderate. Now you are stuck with the problem, since fleas multiply extremely rapidly. The only way to get rid of them is to "fog" the house (the ENTIRE house) on the same day you give your dog a flea bath, outside of the house, of course. Close the house up, all windows shut, and any other pets taken out, of course. If you have a fish tank, cover it with plastic wrap, paper towels, etc., and the fish will be fine. Set off the foggers and leave the house immediately. On top of that, you must treat your yard with a highly effective flea spray that you hook up to your hose. It dilutes the solution automatically (read the package instructions). Keep the house closed up for AT LEAST two hours. Four is even better. Spray your dog with flea spray about twice a week after this (not the same day he gets a flea bath).
    This whole procedure MUST be repeated in two weeks. Lots of people make the mistake of only treating the environment once, and this doesn't work, since flea eggs hatch every two weeks, and the sprays and foggers don't kill the eggs. This means another flea bath for your dog, and closing up the house again, doing the yard - the whole nine yards. If you see ANY fleas (even just one) after this, you'll have to repeat the process again, in another two weeks. This is the ONLY way to get rid of ALL the fleas. I know its a pain in the butt and a big inconvenience, but its absolutely necessary. And remember, when you see only one flea, there are hundreds and perhaps thousands more. This is always the rule with fleas. Be sure you don't buy the off brand cheapie products, because they are not as effective. Vets carry the products that will work best. They are more expensive but well worth it! Use too many foggers in the house as opposed to too little. For the average house you'd need about four-five of the large size foggers. Keep all the doors open so it can penetrate each and every room, and place the foggers stragically throughout the house for maximum coverage.

Incidentally, all this has to be done on the same day because if you don't fog your house, and only do your dog, the fleas will jump right back on your dog the minute he comes back into the house. Same for the yard. See what I mean? Instant reinfestation! Fleas are nasty, very persistent creatures. Good luck. I always treated my dog and premises three times just to be sure I got them all. And don't allow your friend's dog into your house or your property unless you know without a shadow of a doubt that he doesn't have a single flea on him! Also, flea collars have been proven not to be effective, and can even introduce toxins into your dog's system. Don't buy them, they're a waste of money.

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

Once my dog had fleas and I did the bomb thing (which don't set it on wood or near a place where the fog could land on wood) I set off the bomob in the morning then I took the dog to the groomer for the day and my cat I only gave her the flea medicine(advantage or whatever) and she spent the day at my neighbors, but we stayed out of the house for a full 8 hours. when we came home before going in) I gave the dog the advantage then went in, I never saw anymore fleas on him or in my house. But good luck, anything that feasts on blood must be disgusting, it gives me goose bumps thinking about it.

4. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

I disagree as to using fog cans it does not kill all fleas and does not touch the eggs. The eggs are covered in a wax and most difficult to get rid of. You might just have lucked out and got the fleas before they could spread. Keep in mind that the eggs can sit there for many months before they hatch,some say even years. Some years back we got sand fleas real bad on all our guys and in the house. We had to strip down everything, beds, couch, vacuum over and over and we used powder and then cleaned that up off everything after a few days( little green machine).We could not use our couches for a time. Thank goodness we had wood floors. You might consider calling a pro to come in and spray, they usually guarantee there work and the price is not that bad, around
    $ 100.00 /$125.00 for a full spray. Buy the time you buy foggers and can sprays vet bills and such it most likely well work out to be the same amount of money. The yard we use Ivory dish soap and after wards a 25 % mix of bleach and water spray. We bath our guys with Ivory dish soap when they get fleas. It is best if you can put yours in tub up to there neck and keep them there for a few minutes, and wash the face and ears by hand being careful not to get dish soap in there eyes.

2pyrs

5. lil96

lil96 New Member

2pyrs, what is sand fleas? I guess I never really thought about there could be different types, I just always think ugh fleas! Do they look different? I am used to seeing theblack ones, or is it the climate? Since I have moved here I haven'T seen any fleas on Luther! but the ticks were disgusting for a while!!

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I would never use a fog product. I don't want that crap on all the surfaces my animals lie on and lick, and I don't want my kids sitting on carpet that has poison all over it!

I found one flea on Bonnie earlier this year. I had noticed Nala scratching more than usual but I never did see a flea on her. I had to look at Bonnie for a really long time before I saw the one that I did.

So I bought some food-grade diatomaceous earth and rubbed a small amount into the dogs' fur (being careful to not let them inhale it or get it near their eyes). I did this a couple times. We were also supposed to sprinkle it on the carpet and in their beds and then vacuum it up after a few days, but we never did. We went out of town and the dogs were boarded for slightly over a week, and when we came back there didn't seem to be a problem.

I did wash their beds in Borax and I vacuumed the room the dogs are in the most every couple of days for a week or two, with part of a flea collar in the vacuum cannister. Vacuuming is a HUGE part of flea control. Do it every day or two for a couple weeks and throw away the bag (my vacuum doesn't have a bag, so I just took the cannister outside and washed it really well).

I think if I ever did have a big flea problem, I would use the Flea Busters service. It's pricey, but worth it according to Dukesdad. The diatomaceous earth seemed to do the trick for us, though. I don't remember where I bought it from, but I can find out. I ordered it online and it didn't cost much - it will last forever since you use such a small amount of it.

7. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

lil96

Sand flea somewhat resembles a midget mosquito, only with a shorter mouth stinger,
    more like a horse flies stinger in appearance.The sand flea has a dark body, brown colored legs and its wings are translucent with gray and brown splotches, appearing whitish brown when flying. Most of the time you find them near sandy beaches or marshes. The other fleas we get here are brown and very small and fast moving. One of the bad things about fleas is that most people forget to keep and eye out for tape worm after they have rid there pets and house of fleas.

Jamiya
    never heard of food grade diatomaceous ,could you please tell me more and where it is sold.
    DE is razor sharp edges , 86% silicon,Diatomaceous earth can be applied in a variety of ways. to use for flea and tick control, apply a light dusting over the lawn, in dog runs, around pet bedding or favorite resting spots and sprinkle a little on your pet between baths of a mild herbal soap.
    I am not so sure about this on my guys I have read some negative remarks about it. I do know it is very bad to breath into the lungs. I need to look at more long term results before I would consider it use.

2pyrs

8. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I use seven dust 10% around the foundation of my house and throughout the yard and I use seven dust 5% on my dogs bedding if I find fleas. I use a homemade mixture in a spray bottle of Citrus oil extracts or citrus-peel extracts mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil. I just spray it on a couple of times a week the stuff works wonders as a preventative. We have gone three years successfully with no fleas!

9. Pugluver

Pugluver New Member

I've had fleas once on a cat we owned. At that time we had 4 dogs and 2 cats. I did flea baths on all the animals. I then sprayed down my daughters bedroom (where the cat mainly stayed). Waited a little bit then vacuumed, and had some flea spray in the bag. Tossed the bag out and sprayed again. Did that routine about 4 times. Also washed all bedding and any clothes on the floor. If you have a bagless vacuum then treat the inside of that canister and wash out after every use. Took care of the problem for me.
    Fleas will mainly live on the animals you have in the house. Once your house is heavily overcome with the fleas, they'll start biting humans. From what I was told, flea eggs hatch every 3 -5 days.
    Had a neighbor that left for a week long vacation. Family took her dog and cat. I walked in her house 3 days after they left to water her plants. Walked out of there with my legs and hubbys legs COVERED in fleas. And I mean covered! Horrible thing to have on you, I'll tell you that. When she returned she tried the bombing...twice. Didn't work. She had to call in Orkin for weekly then monthly treatments.
    As for your friend, yes it was inconsiderate and very thoughless of her bringing her dog over to your house. But then again, she informed you of the situation. You were wrong in assuming that she took care of the situation so part of it is your fault. Now that you know that she's careless about a flea problem, I wouldn't have any of her animals in my house again. You also have to be careful of her home. You can bring flea eggs, attached to your shoes or socks, home with you.
    You're going to have a little work ahead of you. Good Luck

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Gina, can you be more specific about the products you use and how you make your spray?

2pyrs, I was a little worried about the diatomaceous earth myself, but it worked very well. I know you have to be careful to not inhale it, but I also know that it is put in the feed of some animals and I can't help but wonder how they eat it without inhaling any?? Anyway, it's not like I would use it on a regular basis.

I got some garlic spray (Garlic Barrier, I think it's called) that's made to be sprayed in the yard. It's supposed to be very effective and it's just garlic. Of course, my husband has yet to spray it, and I asked him to do it in May. I bet if that were sprayed around the foundation and throughout the yard every 6 weeks throughout the summer, no fleas, ticks, or mosquitoes would bother us. I'll have to dig through the shed and find the sprayer thingy and figure out how to use it, since apparently it's too much trouble for him....

11. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Jamiya
    Seven Dust can be found at any feed store it is meant to kill pest on poultry and livestock my parents and grandparents have always used it on their ranch to kill fleas, ticks, roaches, spiders, flies and just about any other pest you can think of. It's just a powder that comes in either a 5% or 10% strength it's safe for cats and dogs but I would be cautious around your mice.
    The orange oil spray is as follows this is also a recipe passed on from my granny.

*NOTE*
    TEA TREE OIL CAN BE HARMFUL TO CATS DO NOT USE THIS SOLUTION ON CATS IF IT CONTAINS TEA TREE OIL. IF USED ON CATS WITHOUT TEA TREE OIL DILUTE THE ORANGE OIL BY TWO GALLONS OF WATER INSTEAD OF ONE.

Orange Oil Recipe

Put the peelings of 5-6 large oranges (no pulp) in a gallon glass jar. Fill the jar with water, cover and let set at room temperature for one week. After a week, strain off the juice (orange oil).You may have to strain more than once. Use one cup of this “orange oil” per gallon of water add 1-2 drops of Tea Tree Oil (Depends on size of dog if you have a small dog only one drop to half a drop.) Add 1 part Joy (regular or unscented) dish detergent to 4 parts of Orange extract. Bathe your dog with this solution to kill fleas initially. It will kill fleas almost immediately. After the fleas are gone use only the Orange oil extract diluted with water in a spray bottle spray on 1-2 times a week as a preventive. All types of citrus work, but oranges seem to work best.

12. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Jamiya
    Seven Dust can be found at any feed store it is meant to kill pest on poultry and livestock my parents and grandparents have always used it on their ranch to kill fleas, ticks, roaches, spiders, flies and just about any other pest you can think of. It's just a powder that comes in either a 5% or 10% strength it's safe for cats and dogs but I would be cautious around your mice.
    The orange oil spray is as follows this is also a recipe passed on from my granny.

*NOTE*
    TEA TREE OIL CAN BE HARMFUL TO CATS DO NOT USE THIS SOLUTION ON CATS IF IT CONTAINS TEA TREE OIL. IF USED ON CATS WITHOUT TEA TREE OIL DILUTE THE ORANGE OIL BY TWO GALLONS OF WATER INSTEAD OF ONE.

Orange Oil Recipe

Put the peelings of 5-6 large oranges (no pulp) in a gallon glass jar. Fill the jar with water, cover and let set at room temperature for one week. After a week, strain off the juice (orange oil).You may have to strain more than once. Use one cup of this “orange oil” per gallon of water add 1-2 drops of Tea Tree Oil (Depends on size of dog if you have a small dog only one drop to half a drop.) Add 1 part Joy (regular or unscented) dish detergent to 4 parts of Orange extract. Bathe your dog with this solution to kill fleas initially. It will kill fleas almost immediately. After the fleas are gone use only the Orange oil extract diluted with water in a spray bottle spray on 1-2 times a week as a preventive. All types of citrus work, but oranges seem to work best.

13. GinaH

GinaH New Member

OK now dont laugh at the name of this webiste IM posting. :wink:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/index.html
    This website has some of the best home cooking recipes and recipes for home remedies they also have a forum with interesting topics and lots of great ideas for the home family and pets.

14. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

15. lil96

lil96 New Member

ginah I really like that backwoods site! I find the articles interesting. thanks

16. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Yep it's a very interesting website I also like the forum. I first found it in a search when my husband and I were having a political dispute. There are a lot of Liberals and Democrats on the fotum there... My husband is a republican and IM somewhere in the middle between democrat and liberal so we argue lots over politics.

17. winnie

winnie New Member

Thank you everyone for all your help. I will definitly be trying all your suggestions. So far I think we might be in the clear but if it takes flea eggs 2 weeks to hatch or more, then I'm a little worried. Thanks agian.

18. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!! If there are no eggs, they cannot hatch.

I think if I were you, I would go with the bath for every dog in water and Ivory soap (2pyr's suggestion, I believe). Submerging them up to their heads is a good idea, if they will tolerate it. Then I would vacuum thoroughly several times (including furniture) and wash their beds. Then I think I would wait and see if any problems develop and go from there with more aggressive solutions (if necessary).