1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Flew the coop

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by iobre8ks, Dec 3, 2004.

1. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

My first baby flew the coop today. I named him buddy he is so little and so cute. I put an ankle band on made out of duck tape but i don't think that it is going to stay on. What around the house do you think i could use that would work well as an ankle band. If it is a boy I am going to keep him since the female in my other pair has no relation to it. The male that is with her i am going to give away for free since he is not able to have babies and chewed his remaining toe off on one of his feet. I can't believe how cute it is.

2. drab911

drab911 New Member

That is great to here man!
    I dont have much experience with birds but what comes to my mind when you mention some sort of a leg band would be maybe one of those rubber O Rings,, you know those small ones?? Probably check with some other people first but thats a thought!
    Peace

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi congratulations on the first chick leaving the nest.
    If your planning on breeding your birds its a good idea to look into buying id bands which you can buy in bulk which has the year the bird was hatched your surname and the number of the chick this is the safest method of banding birds...

Why can your male that has lost its toes not breed as even though he is missing toes he is still capable of producing fertile sprem and inpregnating a female.

Mike

4. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

i have tried to breed them for a long time the female laid eggs but they were all duds and he has problems sitting on a perch so i just thought that he would have many problems breeding since he has little to no balance.

5. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

If i were to take millet off of the stem that you buy from the pet store and planted it in a pot would it grow? So that i would be able to harvest millet. Any information would be helpful.

6. mchat

mchat New Member

Hi,
    I have been growing seed for my cockatiels in pots. I have found the the easiest way to grow it is to strip the millet spray of the seeds and soak the seeds in water. I then plant it in a pot. As far as harvesting it goes I am simply pulling the seed heads of the planst and placing them in the cage. I have started doing the same with the rest of the seed to give a variety of seed heads which the cockatiels love.

7. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

about how long will it take to have seed heads on the actuall plant? I planted some and they are 3-5 inches tall now.

8. drab911

drab911 New Member

how many seeds did you use? And what size pot? wow that is such a good idea im gonna try it also...

9. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

the pot is about two and a half feet long and six inches wide and i put a full stick of millet in it i also have some morning glory's and some wild bird food just as a test.

10. drab911

drab911 New Member

Did you soak the seeds in water? and if yes for how long?

11. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

i didn't but if you were going to just over night.

12. mchat

mchat New Member

Mine took about 2 weeks but now have a constant supply. The birds also seem to enjoy if you pull off a few of the longer leaves. Seems like its fun to chew on not sure how much nutrition is in them though

13. drab911

drab911 New Member

How tall do they grow? Does anyone have a picture of their millet plants growing?

14. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

is that two weeks from planting or two weeks from sprouting or what mine have been planted for about two weeks and have been growing for about a week.

15. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I read on a different website that it takes 70-100 days before picking.