1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Food Question

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Mackie8494, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Mackie8494

Mackie8494 New Member

I know there is a broad range of opinions on feeding but what are you feeding your 'poos? I started out feeding Scrappy Iams then switched to Scrappy Chicken Soup for the Soul. He loves whatever I put down for him but he poops all the time. I don't feel like he will ever get housetrained. Every morning he poops 3 times within the first hour that he is awake followed by at least 2-3 more times during the day. I was just thinking maybe there is another food that will be easier.

Thanks for all your help.

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I dont have a poo but I know some people that feed raw and they dont poop as much and its not that much and doesnt smell too bad when they do. Some of the members on the all dogs forum feed raw and would have more info on the diet for you.

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

For nutritional reasons, I rotate between several dog food brands, and currently my dogs are on Nutro. I think Nutro is a WONDERFUL brand, and am very happy with it. A lot of people I personally know feed their dog Nutro as well, and are also pleased with it, so you may want to give Nutro a try! :y_the_best:

Just a thought! :D

4. nern

nern New Member

My poodle eats Timberwolf Organics. He usually poops about 2 times per day. Growing puppies have high calorie needs because they burn so much energy so I think its pretty common for puppies to poop more than adult dogs regardless of the food fed. Switching to a more calorie dense diet might help because the puppy with have to eat less to meet his calorie needs and therefore will poop less. Chicken Soup is a wonderful brand but is not very calorie dense. Innova might be a better choice for fewer poops.

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Just to add:

I have been hearing more and more extremely positive things about the brand Innova - I am considering giving it a try.

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

My pups have been on Innova for a few months now and we are very pleased with it. Although I have not seen much change in their stools which is why I didnt recomend it in the first place. We may still see some changes. I think I heard it takes a while for dogs to fully adjust to new food.

7. Kristine

Kristine New Member

Pooping up to 6 times per day seems unusually high--and 3 times in an hour--wow! How old is your pup. My 5 month shih tzu mix is on Iams puppy food and he only goes 2 times per day usually--occassionally 3 times. I wonder if something besides the brand of food is contributing to the number of poops per day.

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Wow, I heard that they should poop (man, is tonite "poop talk nite"?? hehe) 2 - 3 times a day. Have you talked to your vet about this? also, I'm assuming that the stool looks "normal" or you would have mentioned that.

Bailey is on Nutro also... he has been very healthy and I highly recommend it. It's the only brand he's been on, so I don't know much about the others. But, I have read on other posts that Innova is good too (to "ditto" what MyBabyShi said).

:)

9. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

The more I think about, the more I wonder the same thing...all those times seems like an awful lot. :-#

But, I most definitely am not an expert in this field, so I don't know for sure if it's ok or not! :0011: