1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Food

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by BronxthePit, Sep 25, 2004.

1. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

Hey all ,

What brands of food do yaw'll feed your kid'ums :?:

2. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

oh i forgot to add.

I variate their food sometimes eukenuba(spelling????), sometimes purina one,etc. I dont know i like to give them a variety..maybe im a sucker like that. i know their just dogs but i just can't help thinking "god i'd hate to have to eat the same thing for the rest of my life" :D

3. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I feed Diamond High Energy.

4. Angie

Angie New Member

Natural Choice - Lamb Meal and Rice Fromula

5. jrbuddha

jrbuddha New Member

Nutro Max, Adult.

6. someday

someday New Member

Nutro Natural Choice puppy- lamb and rice

7. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Diamond High Energy. They were on Nutro Ultra, but it got a little too expensive for (at the time) 5 dogs at about $1.00/lb.

8. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

NUtro Ultra, But Diamond is good. I think they add the Omegas. A lot of kennels feed both of these and you cant go wrong either way.

9. Walt

Walt New Member

I feed raw turkey necks, At my local butcher I get a 30bl cs for $25.00 wich last about a month. I don't feed kibble EVER :y_the_best:

10. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

NutroMax Puppy

11. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

Bronx, I think the two brands of food you mentioned are both excellent too. Congrats on caring enough to feed the best.

12. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

???

ok somebody brought it up so now i have to talk about it :)

is raw meat really good for your dogs????

i'll feed my on occasion , properly cooked beef and chicken. but have never fed them anything 'raw'.I fed one of my dogs chicken that wasn't cooked all the way (didn't realize it; thats why i hate chiken), and she got sick as a......well..dog ;) barfed and crapped everywhere (in the house...in her cage). Poor thing ...it was so bad she couldn't hold it , after that i was like THANK GOD I keep them in a crate.

I also heard that it does something to the dogs. I owned a dog that his previous owners fed him raw meat,,and i noticed he was a tad CRAZY. You know the kind of dog that runs into walls for no apparent reason. He was special :p ...notice the keyword was 'owned' haha he was nutz..had to go bye bye

Anyway what be you'all thoughts??

13. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

I used to go to the butcher and get a couple of pounds of bone marrow for my pits. (when I owned APBT's) Marrow is good for dogs and in the case of the neck bones I think it may be different than raw meat. As a main source of nutrition? I wouldnt rely on that for my dogs. It begs the question, "what about internal parasites". I know alot of dog men of old and country people have a certain way about them and their attitudes of raising/feeding dogs.

What type of behavior can come from eating raw meat? I dont know. It would stand to reason that it wouldnt necissarily affect behavior, unless you let them eat it right off of an animal you just let them KILL!!! :D

These are my opinions, I am by no means an authority on the matter. I will leave that up to the scientists at the Dog Food Labs.

14. Walt

Walt New Member

Re: ???

BronxthePit

You can feed your dog grains like cattle or you can feed them MEAT like K-9's its realy that simple.

As far as raw meat making a dog act krazy, thats just silly :!:

Bones turn brittle when cooked and I dont recommend feeding them.

15. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

Thats actually what's called an Oversimplification, and possibly a little misleading. There is however somthing to what you are saying but you should include a little fact and some reference material when making those kind of blanket BIG statements.

My dog tends to VOMIT turkey necks and then proceeds to leave runny excrement everywhere. Im sure there are one hundred retorts to that statement im just not interested in them.

Bronx- I dont think your concern for the urban legend was silly.

For reference material on feeding your dog an all natural diet:
    http://www.sitstay.com/store/books/diet1.shtml
    You may also do a search for a pop dog diet called B.A.R.F. "Bones and Raw Food"
    heres an article
    http://www.angelfire.com/tx/siegreich/BARF.html
    Very interesting and compelling information.

16. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

read the BARF link..very intresting..dunno im just hestitant to feed my dog neckbone, but i guess there IS a difference between raw bone and cooked bone(i tend to think of the consequences of eating a cooked bone).

like i said before i gave her chicken that wasn't cooked good enough i guess and she got sick. is there a difference between that and RAW RAW chicken ???

again i never gave thought to any of this with other breeds..its just with these two ...boxer and pit..that im thinking about performance and muscle and tone and all those other great words :p

I read this one article about feeding them raw stuff ( which is i guess is ALSO a heated debate), and some say that even though its in there blood (wild dogs), domesticated dogs over the generations have different stomachs or something like that. Sounds like it COULD be BS .....

17. Walt

Walt New Member

Well here let me simplify it even further I have 2 adult intacked males 5 & 4 plus one 5mo old pup and I could not in good conscience go back to feeding kibble, not after seeing with my own two eye's the overwhelming
    improvement feeding a all natural diet made on my boy's

Haveing said that I am fully aware that for every person that aprooves of an all natural diet for there pets there will be just as many that do not aproove.

Oh by the way IT IS VERY SILLY TO THINK THAT FEEDING RAW WILL MAKE A DOG KRAZY!

That mith falls under the heading a paranoia & BS :mrgreen: just ask the thousands of breeders and owners alike that feed raw, Hell just ask me I've been feeding raw for years with out a hitch!

However if you,all out there beleive in miths I've got some swamp land I wanna sell ya :D Or mabe that famos bridge in NY

C'mon people snap out of it will ya :!:

18. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

I've done some reading on raw feeding, and I suppliment their kibble with a raw egg (shell and all) every other day. One thing I've learned from reading is that salmonela (sp?) cannot survive in a dog's stomach. In fact, studies show that a good majority of kibble's contain salmonela. (Sorry, no links off the top of my head for you, but I'll see if I can find some if you want.) One controversial thing about feeding faw eggs has been that the egg white kills Biotin in the dog's system (necessary for digestion/absorption I believe), yet I have learned that there is more than enough Biotin in the egg yolk to make up for the loss from the white (I might have it backwards - maybe yellow kills it and white contains it.) As Walt said - don't EVER feed cooked bones - they become brittle and can splinter in the mouth, throat, stomach, etc and cause real damage. What I discovered by adding a raw egg to their kibble is that in the 1st week or so, they did have runny stools, but it soon returned to normal. I feel this is just because of introducing something new to their diet. Just like switching their kibble too fast could cause loose stools and upset tummies. By adding only one egg every other day, I noticed a difference in their coats. Not much, but it was there - they seemed to lose any dullness their coats used to have. Anyway - there are lots of people whose dogs thrive on kibble, raw diet, or a mixture of both. I think you should do what best fits your lifestyle/pocketbook. That is why I'm simply supplimenting. I plan to add more raw to their diet after we get a little better settled in here.

19. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

ok so i need help understanding something.

Cooking the bone(s) make it.....change in structure?(is that even the right word)

So raw bones is like eating raw Brocolii(to a dog),and eating cooked bones is like eating wood or glass? Should the bones be dry??? I just need help with this bone thing....

20. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

I'm honestly not sure what cooking them does exactly. I mean, I know it makes them brittle, but I'm not sure how/why. Bones are good for cleaning teeth and developing jaw muscle. I don't see why they would need to be dry. If you want to try raw bones alone, I'd suggest cutting the meat off any steak or whatever else you might get for yourself. Them give your dogs the uncooked bones. It'll be a great treat for them.