1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

? for breeders.....

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Mary_NH, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'm curious to know if any breeders here get involved with rescue (not necessarily just with the breed you have).

I ask cause I know lots of people in the "cat world" and the breeders I know are dedicated to improvement of the breed (rather than just producing kittens) they show their cats and sometimes don't even have their cats breed in any given year - they have more than one queen and only let their queens breed every other year. I mention this so you know they aren't in it for cash...but the love of their breed.

Anyway...these breeders not only do this but they are also very involved in rescue groups for cats (primarily the breed they are already involved in since they know the quirks).

I'm just wondering if dog people/breeders get as involved in rescue whether it be fostering, rehoming, transport, etc. as cat people do.

Their motto is if you're going to breed you should also rescue.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I breed ACD's and as yall know rescue anything that eats, drinks, breaths, poo's lol. You can't be choosy when rescuing, if you see an animal in need, you can't just walk away.
    Thats the way I see it.

I only breed my dogs when I have enough people with deposites down for the puppies. My dogs are working dogs. Some go for pets, police work, shows and more. But maily for herding.

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I'm not a breeder myself but the yorkie breeder I got Rocky from fosters dogs for the Toronto Humane Society (purebreds, mutts whatever they give him). He's retired so he has a lot of extra time on his hands and he has very few yorkie litters now so he decided to take care of less fortunate animals. He also adopted a yellow lab mix that they gave him to foster.

4. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

We breed Shelties....and we typically have more rescues here than shelties!!! We have three rescue dogs, four rescue cats, five newborn kittens, our shelties and two purebred cats right now. People know we will take in everything, and goodness with kitten season coming...we are going to be flooded! Every cat you see is pregnant! Any one want to adopt a cat or kitten? Or a longhaired german shepherd puppy?

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think that is one of things people have said to look for in a "good" breeder - one who is involved in rescue. A good breeder is trying to improve the breed. Because they are adding more dogs to the world, they should also be helping the ones already in the world who are in need.

Jamiya

6. Jas

Jas New Member

Yes, absolutely! I do all breed and breed specific rescue and all that that entails! Our home will always be open to rescues!

I believe all breeders should do their part.

:y_the_best: