1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

for those interested in raw feeding info

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Several of you have asked recently about learning about raw feeding. Here is a site I just found that looks like it was put up by someone on the Yahoo rawfeeding list. It has a ton of info organized into the common "myths" about rawfeeding and kibble.

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/rawdog/

Jamiya

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya good site, except they dont like feeding premade raw which is what I do. I did look at one store that sold premade raw that did have grains in it, I get mine at my holistic vet and it its pure meat.

I mash jakes food with veggies and he does not eat so fast, but one time I just plopped the meat in his bowl and he swallowed it whole so that can be a problem.

luckily jake jake knaws on his bones almost every night so that helps his teeth. even though the site says veggies have no nutritional value, it is a good filler for him since he is overweight and they say raw can easliy put on weight.

honeybear

3. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Oh Jamiya and Honeybears you guys won't believe the bad advice I read in this other forum pertaining to BARF and to top it all off the very bad advice was given by the forum moderator!
    Here's the link so you can see for yourself.
    http://www.terrificpets.com/forum/4999.asp

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

You have to take things like that with a grain of salt. Natural raw is better than pre-made raw for a variety of reasons. BUT pre-made raw is still better than kibble!

Does your premade raw that is all meat have ground bone in it? I hope so! What brand is it? I'd be interested in looking at it.

Feeding organic raw (like meat from grass-fed, free-range animals) is better than buying from grocery stores, but I don't have access to things like that. Not that I can afford anyway.

So we all do the best we can with what we have available to us.

Some of the other info was good, too, about what's wrong with kibble and why dogs are carnivores and the concerns about the safety of raw. I particularly liked how they pointed out what a pit of germs a kibble-fed dog's mouth is, and yet people are more concerned about being licked by a raw fed dog. And how they pointed out that MANY more dogs die from bloat or other kibble-related problems than choke on a raw bone, and yet people still think kibble is safer.

Jamiya

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya,

http://www.grandadspetfoods.com/

here is the website for Jakes food. He gets the beef/chicken blend. I tried the all chicken to give him a change but he started scratching

I see my barkery also sells it, I think I will buy from them because they are new and I want to see them successful. looks like the only places that sell it are here in Calif but they deliver ups? dont know how they do that

"You have to take things like that with a grain of salt. " yea like putting the scare tactic that because the meat is ground his mouth will be full of harmful bacteria.

the e-coli thing makes sense though of why it is in ground beef and not steaks.

All I know is he is doing so much better! I still put tons of supplements in his food trying to build up his immune system
    so he gets nzymes, bac pac for yeast, vit C, a multivit, oxy drops, once all of these are gone, I will only feed him the multivititmin.

honeybear

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Doh! I had to go and post on that terrific pets forum. I will try to NOT go back and look or I will get into an argument. *sigh*

Honeybears, dogs can handle the bacteria. A kibble-fed dog's mouth is full of bacteria as well - it's an ideal environment for bacteria to grow!

Just use common sense and normal hygiene and everyone is happy. And brush his teeth! :)

Jamiya

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

oh jake would just love to have hos teetch brushed :mrgreen:

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I used to try to brush Nala's teeth when she was on kibble. I used the thing that goes over your finger instead of a brush. The doggie toothpaste tasted so good I had trouble getting to her teeth before she slurped it off the brush thingy.

Jamiya