1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fostering a pit

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by SugarLovesPits, Oct 6, 2004.

1. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

ok here's the thing: I have been fostering a young female pit that was used as a bait dog. She was very shy, and scared when I first brought her home all she did was cower and whine Since I got her 2 wks. ago she has already made tons of progress she is very sweet and loving still scared but we're working on it I have alot of hope for her. Any way one of the problems with her is if you challenge her i.e. stare her down she does not back down she growls however she does not try to attack and it is not an aggressive growl, she does it with her ears down and her tail between her legs. I think in time this will change but i only have 4 more wks. and if I can't break her of it she gets PTS. This will break my heart!! :cry: I don't have any expierience with this because my dogs don't have a problem with ti but then again I don't usually stare down my dogs to see what they will do and probablly if a stranger did this they prob would take it as a sign of aggression and react badly just like Jynger. But it is a test she must pass in order to be deemed adoptable> If anyone can help i would really appreciate it if it weren't for me she would have allreaady been PTS I was the only one willing to work with her and if after all this she gets put down i will not be able to live with myself!!

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh I hope Gina sees this, she is usually around all of the time, but havnt noticed her this week, She does a lot of PB rescues and I think she has experience with dogs like this and could give some good advice or get her place with a longer foster

good luck

honeybear

3. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Ok, here goes nothing:
    I don't know if this is the correct answer but its what I would try to do.
    Teach the dog "Watch me". As soon as she stares at you "i.e. Watches you", say in a high praise voice "Good Watch" and treat her. Keep up the repeation and make the stares "Watches" longer as she progresses. She will hopefully learn that staring at you will gain her praise and rewards and come out of her shell.
    Let me know if this works!!
    (Ps I am currently fostering an abused pit too and she is very shy). I have been practicing "Watch me" and we are making progress.
    :eek: Is there any possiblilty that you can adopt the dog yourself and once she is to a level that is acceptable than adopt her out yourself? That is what I did. This way, I don't have a time frame to go by.

4. SugarLovesPits

I'm not sure yet if i'm gonna be able to adopt her or nor the problem is the aspca gave me six weeks to break her of this and make her what they deem exceptable or even I cannot adopt her she will get PTS I am gonna try what you said Therepy dog, It makes sense cross your fingers!!thanx!!!

5. MyPetTherapyDog

well did you try watch me?
    How is the training going?
    :shock:

6. SugarLovesPits

Therapy dog, Well i believe Gynger owes her life to you!! It is working like a charm!!! :y_the_best: Now she just thinks it's a game and she's gonna get a treat! also i plan to ween her off the treats and I have also had my mom sister and best friend do this too so i know she'll do it with others god i am so relieved she has come so far in such a short time! Also i made a deal with the A that once she passes her evaluation she will be put up for adoption but if she dosn't find a good home soon I will take her I would take her right away if it weren't for the fact I have two others! but after all this I cannot let her get put down!

7. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

That is so awesome! :eek: It's great to hear that the 'watch me' command has worked so great so far. Until this post, I'd never even thought of teaching a command for that. Best of luck with her, and please keep us updated.

8. MyPetTherapyDog

:lol: :mrgreen: :y_the_best:
    I am THRILLED for the little gal. Seems like she deserves the best of the best life after the rough life she has already had!
    I said prayers she would catch on!
    I have a "Ginger" too. She was a pound dog for 7 months. Now, she is a therapy dog. (Not Service dog) just therapy dog. I think its AWSOME having a "PITBULL THERAPY DOG"
    When I first read your post, I immediatly thought of my dog Jasmine (who unfortunatly passed away at the young age of 3 1/2 of kidney disease, a horrible complication of lyme disease).
    I took her death soooooooo hard. I asked my vet to come to my home to put her to sleep on my bed because I did not have the heart to bring her to the vets to be put down. I adopted my first pound pit bull (Ginger) after Jasmine's death.
    Anyway, the first thing Jasmine and I learned in puppy kindergarten classes many years ago was "Watch me". Its something I teach my dogs( to focus on me while there are other distractions around) just because I was taught it from the first pitbull I owned.
    Your post made me flash back to Jasmine and her puppy kindergarten teacher.
    Tell your Gynger to thank Jasmine not me! (Her memory lives on in the hearts of others) :mrgreen:
    GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SugarLovesPits

Sorry to hear about Jasmine but thanks to you and her Gynger will have a better life! Also After Gynger is deemed adoptable she will still have to go through obiedience traing but i offered to pay for it if the people who adopt her can't or maybe i'll just end up with her anyway!

10. MyPetTherapyDog

:)
    Did you ever train any of your dogs for a CGC?
    (Canine Good Citizen Certificate)

11. SugarLovesPits

NO I havn't but i heard of it before and always wanted to but I couldn't find anyone around here who will do it. Most places here won't even take a pit for obedience classes!! Isn't that silly :x

12. MyPetTherapyDog

Yea, good old stereotyping its it grand.
    Actually, you don't need a trainer to help you get ready for the CGC. A trainer would surly help but its not necessary until your dog needs to take the test. Its quite simple. Here are the guidelines.(SEE BELOW) Just basic things. You will need a friend/partner who has other dogs to train with for one portion of the test. Go to the AKC website (Below) to find a list of people that can test when you are ready. Many dog groups offer the test.

Its good to have a pit bull with his/her CGC. It proves to idiots that these dogs are extremely smart and have the potential to be and many of them are: Ambassadors and Good Citizens. I love it when I get harassed about my pit bulls by uneducated dog owners. I simply say "Oh when did your dog get his/her CGC"? Does your dog do pet therapy?" What level of obedience is your dog currently at"? Then I tell them ALL ABOUT MY DOGS RESUME and then mention that the dog came from a pound WITH NO TRAINING WHAT SO EVER BEFORE I ADOPTED HIM/HER. I end the conversation with HAVE A NICE DAY, Hope to see you soon.
    LOL LOL LOL
    It SHUTS THEM UP EACH AND EVERY TIME!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.akc.org/love/cgc/training_testing.cfm
    Training/Testing

CGC Test Items

Before taking the Canine Good Citizen test, owners will sign the Responsible Dog Owners Pledge. We believe that responsible dog ownership is a key part of the CGC concept and by signing the pledge, owners agree to take care of their dog's health needs, safety, exercise, training and quality of life. Owners also agree to show responsibility by doing things such as cleaning up after their dogs in public places and never letting dogs infringe on the rights of others.

After signing the Responsible Dog Owners Pledge, owners and their dogs are ready to take the CGC Test. Items on the Canine Good Citizen Test include:

Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger
    This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the handler in a natural, everyday situation. The evaluator walks up to the dog and handler and greets the handler in a friendly manner, ignoring the dog. The evaluator and handler shake hands and exchange pleasantries. The dog must show no sign of resentment or shyness, and must not break position or try to go to the evaluator.

Test 2: Sitting politely for petting
    This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to touch it while it is out with its handler. With the dog sitting at the handler's side, to begin the exercise, the evaluator pets the dog on the head and body. The handler may talk to his or her dog throughout the exercise. The dog may stand in place as it is petted. The dog must not show shyness or resentment.

Test 3: Appearance and grooming
    This practical test demonstrates that the dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so. It also demonstrates the owner's care, concern and sense of responsibility. The evaluator inspects the dog to determine if it is clean and groomed. The dog must appear to be in healthy condition (i.e., proper weight, clean, healthy and alert). The handler should supply the comb or brush commonly used on the dog. The evaluator then softly combs or brushes the dog, and in a natural manner, lightly examines the ears and gently picks up each front foot. It is not necessary for the dog to hold a specific position during the examination, and the handler may talk to the dog, praise it and give encouragement throughout.

Test 4: Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead)
    This test demonstrates that the handler is in control of the dog. The dog may be on either side of the handler. The dog's position should leave no doubt that the dog is attentive to the handler and is responding to the handler's movements and changes of direction. The dog need not be perfectly aligned with the handler and need not sit when the handler stops. The evaluator may use a pre-plotted course or may direct the handler/dog team by issuing instructions or commands. In either case, there should be a right turn, left turn, and an about turn with at least one stop in between and another at the end. The handler may talk to the dog along the way, praise the dog, or give commands in a normal tone of voice. The handler may sit the dog at the halts if desired.

Test 5: Walking through a crowd
    This test demonstrates that the dog can move about politely in pedestrian traffic and is under control in public places. The dog and handler walk around and pass close to several people (at least three). The dog may show some interest in the strangers but should continue to walk with the handler, without evidence of over-exuberance, shyness or resentment. The handler may talk to the dog and encourage or praise the dog throughout the test. The dog should not jump on people in the crowd or strain on the leash.

Test 6: Sit and down on command and Staying in place
    This test demonstrates that the dog has training, will respond to the handler's commands to sit and down and will remain in the place commanded by the handler (sit or down position, whichever the handler prefers). The dog must do sit AND down on command, then the owner chooses the position for leaving the dog in the stay. Prior to this test, the dog's leash is replaced with a line 20 feet long. The handler may take a reasonable amount of time and use more than one command to get the dog to sit and then down. The evaluator must determine if the dog has responded to the handler's commands. The handler may not force the dog into position but may touch the dog to offer gentle guidance. When instructed by the evaluator, the handler tells the dog to stay and walks forward the length of the line, turns and returns to the dog at a natural pace. The dog must remain in the place in which it was left (it may change position) until the evaluator instructs the handler to release the dog. The dog may be released from the front or the side.

Test 7: Coming when called
    This test demonstrates that the dog will come when called by the handler. The handler will walk 10 feet from the dog, turn to face the dog, and call the dog. The handler may use encouragement to get the dog to come. Handlers may choose to tell dogs to "stay" or "wait" or they may simply walk away, giving no instructions to the dog.

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
    This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler.

Test 9: Reaction to distraction
    This test demonstrates that the dog is confident at all times when faced with common distracting situations. The evaluator will select and present two distractions. Examples of distractions include dropping a chair, rolling a crate dolly past the dog, having a jogger run in front of the dog, or dropping a crutch or cane. The dog may express natural interest and curiosity and/or may appear slightly startled but should not panic, try to run away, show aggressiveness, or bark. The handler may talk to the dog and encourage or praise it throughout the exercise.

Test 10: Supervised separation
    This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if necessary, and will maintain training and good manners. Evaluators are encouraged to say something like, "Would you like me to watch your dog?" and then take hold of the dog's leash. The owner will go out of sight for three minutes. The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness. Evaluators may talk to the dog but should not engage in excessive talking, petting, or management attempts (e.g, "there, there, it's alright").

Equipment

All tests must be performed on leash. Dogs should wear well-fitting buckle or slip collars made of leather, fabric, or chain. Special training collars such as pinch collars, head halters, etc. are not permitted in the CGC test. We recognize that special training collars may be very useful tools for beginning dog trainers, however, we feel that dogs are ready to take the CGC test at the point at which they are transitioned to regular collars.

The evaluator supplies a 20-foot lead for the test. The owner/handler should bring the dog's brush or comb to the test.

Encouragement

Owners/handlers may use praise and encouragement throughout the test. The owner may pet the dog between exercises. Food and treats are not permitted during testing, nor is the use of toys, squeaky toys, etc. to get the dog to do something. We recognize that food and toys may provide valuable reinforcement or encouragement during the training process but these items should not be used during the test.

Failures - Dismissals

Any dog that eliminates during testing must be marked failed. The only exception to this rule is that elimination is allowable in test Item 10, but only when test Item 10 is held outdoors.

Any dog that growls, snaps, bites, attacks, or attempts to attack a person or another dog is not a good citizen and must be dismissed from the test.

13. SugarLovesPits

oh well seems i would have one problem Jayson does not like other males I guess this is sort of my fault I lived in the country for most of his life and he wasn't properly socialized with other dogs I have tried desperately to break him of it but he's set in his ways i suppose. I guess it was never a big issue because there wern't any other male dogs around, now however my friend just gat a pittie pup male and Jayson is fine with him I suppose because it's a puppy i am hoping that if he is raised around Jayson they will be friends then maybe they can do the test together! Thanks for the info I still want to do it with Raychel!

14. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Be very watchful of them, especially when the pup gets a little older. My girl Jasmine has been raised around BJ (Jasmine is now 9 months old, BJ is 2-1/2), and just the other day they got into it pretty bad. Unfortunately, they will not be able to be around each other anymore, as I know they will just continue to fight. It's been my experience that APBTs are great around young pups, and generally are okay around the opposite sex. But get two mature dogs of the same sex together, and chances are that they won't get along. Both Jasmine and Maggie have also started things with Gauge, who is the opposite sex (he's 10 months old, and hasn't shown any agression yet). Maggie has also gotten into it with our other male, Sammy. Actually, she's pretty intolerant of just about any dogs her size. Anyway - just wanted to warn you that they might not get along once the pup gets a little older. This isn't always the case, but generally.

15. goob

goob New Member

Sugae, even if Jayson doesn't like other dogs, it's probably that he could learn to tolerate them well enough for what's needed on the CGC test. The dogs don't actually have to interact at all, just sit a couple feet from each other while you shake hands with the other dog's handler (which is often an instructors dog, one they know to be well mannered around other dogs). If you can get his obedience solid (including working around other dogs as distractions) and work on his concentration on you, you should have it in the bag. I have two dog aggressive dogs that I'm looking to have tested before too long, both would try to grab another dog in such close quarters before I worked with them, but now they'll behave pretty well.

16. SugarLovesPits

Ya i worry about that with the pup too and I also know alot of pits with the samr attitude, I wish i could break him of it but i'm just not sure it is possible i hate to admot it but he is very aggresive with other male dogs and it scares me to even try to get him near another dog. I think I have trained my dogs very well but I'm afraid this may be something i can't do!