1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

fostering issues and people skills

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Remember how I was thinking of fostering, and the group I was going to work with told me to wait until after their big fundraiser because they were totally swamped and couldn't devote enough time to get all my questions answered? Well, I e-mailed the week after the fundraiser and the head woman's friend had emergency surgery and was in the hospital so I was told to wait some more. She hadn't got back to me yet, so I went to their adoption event today at a PetCo. I guess her friend is still in the hospital.

So anyway, just like at the last event I went to, it was hard to get a word in edgewise. She was busy with some adoptions, but then she would wander off and get involved in long conversations with friends or former adopters and I would stand there and wait. I finally got to talk to her a couple times, but nothing was ever settled. One of the other women told me to wait until we got back from vacation. Then later she said there was one of their dogs that needed a foster mom and I could take him for the week and bring him back when we leave for vacation. So I said I would come back at the end of the event to get him.

I left and dropped my dogs at home and went back to pick him up. When I got there, she said she was uncomfortable giving him to me because my dogs haven't had a bordatella vaccination. She said another woman who just started fostering also doesn't give bordatella and she took a foster dog into her home and then the foster and two out of three of her personal dogs got kennel cough.

So I pointed out that her dogs are kibble fed and have had all their other vaccinations yearly, plus heartworm and flea preventives. This means their immune systems were quite weakened. Not only that, but the foster dog had just been vaccinated for bordatella, which means he was probably actively shedding the disease.

I called my holistic vet but she wasn't in. So I called the vet we used to go to and they said that if the foster dog wasn't exhibiting symptoms then he was safe to bring home and if by chance my dogs do get it, it's no big deal to treat it.

I ended up not bringing him home. They had already brought him back to the vet who is boarding him. They told me to talk with my regular vet on Tuesday, but by then there is little point in bringing him home since we are leaving at the end of the week for a vacation.

This is the second dog who has been promised to me and then taken away. My daughter is very upset and I am disappointed as well. I wanted to help dogs, but since I can't possibly adopt more than one more, I thought fostering would be a good way to go.

Is it right that I have to chase this woman around and practically beg for attention? Don't you think if they really wanted my help, I would get a warmer reception? Or are they just being cautious because they don't know me yet? Should I look into a different group? Should I forget the whole thing? Maybe I should just adopt a senior dog and call it good.

I wish people were as easy as dogs.

2. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

They are obviously giving you the run around.
    Go to another group.
    I do rescue. If you lived local, I would be honored to have you take one of my dogs to be a foster mom.
    I am in RI

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I would try a different rescue too. Some people just act that way; I know it is difficult for me to deal with people that way b/c I prefer one on one types of things and take things very seriously, etc., but some people are very scatterbrained. I had a boss like that, she'd drive me nuts. Nice lady, but crazy. The shelter I briefly adopted Lucy from was kind of like that, but I think with them they were just so busy. They have over 200 dogs, cats, etc. plus fosters, and a facility they are trying to expand and they run a construction business at the same time. (It was good for me b/c they never got around to cashing my check!) But I have to say, you may have turned them off with the bordatella speech. One thing I noticed about the rescue people I dealt with, they think they know everything. Plus, not everyone really believes the immune system stuff so it can be offensive to some. I'm not saying that was your intent or anything. But I'm sure there are other rescues.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I sent an e-mail explaining my position and got an immediate phone call from the lady who was worried about the bordatella. She said we are miles apart on our philosophy and should "agree to disagree and not play together." I just said "Okay" and hung up.

The thing that bugs me is that I made sure the original woman I talked to knew that I do not vaccinate yearly, that my dogs are raw fed, and that I do natural heartworm protection plus testing every 6 months. While she doesn't do this with her dogs, she said she does understand and that changing her own diet has made her able to stop taking the 17 medications she used to take. So she has firsthand experience on what an appropriate diet is capable of. And she KNEW what I believed and how I cared for my dogs and didn't find a problem with it. I could have wasted less time if I had been told at the beginning that there would be a problem.

I also understand that when you are caring for rescue dogs that are in poor condition, maybe you have to do some things differently. I wasn't insisting on feeding their dogs raw or not vaccinating them (although a raw diet would certainly be better for them). I told them I had no problem with doing things "their way" with "their" dogs.

I guess I'll just have to find a different way to help. I live in the Midwest, where opinions are notoriously slow to change. I bet they wouldn't even adopt to me now. :(

I only hope that when the time comes in the future when everyone realizes what harm we are doing by overvaccinating our animals, that some people are able to look back and see that there were those of us able to educate ourselves and let go of the fear and realize the truth. And I hope they remember how they treated us and are sorry for it.

It's got to start with the vets. If you walked into your vet for your annual shots and the vet told you there is "new" information out and annual shots are no longer necessary, 90% of the people would accept it without question. I just don't see why it's so hard to understand. People are not vaccinated every year, for pete's sake!! Why should dogs be any different?

I can only imagine what disaster would ensue if they suddenly started revaccinating people every year for the same diseases. I think it would become obvious very quickly what damage was being done, but of course it would be unethical to try it.

5. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry Jamiya, how disappointing. :(
    Is this the same place you fostered Bonnie through?

6. lil96

lil96 New Member

I know exactly what you are talking about, I have tried to foster here before, and i always get this total run a round, but they are always complainng that the shelter is overflowing with animals and begging for foster homes, but i don't know anyone who has ever qualified for it. It is like they give you a list and if you pass that list then there is another list and another list until you give up bc everything has changed. I think these people are very closed minded and only if you are exactly like them can you have a dog/cat. Once I was told that I couldn't have a dog or cat because i didn't have a fenced in yard, i told them that I wasn't going to leave it outside why would I need a fence? and what good is a fence with a cat? that said it was for safety reasons, bc the dog or cat would run away and get hit w/out a fence. Ok whatever, so then next time I had a fenced on yard and they told me the space wasn't big enough, next time they said the fence wasn't high enough.
    Those are just a few examples of the run around they have given me, it is just plain crazy the things they say. I am sure there are good places out there. I am just sorry you had to waste your time, I know you would have made a great foster mom!

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Nern, it is not the same place that I fostered Bonnie. Maybe I should contact them.

Before the whole bordatella thing came up, I did have a discussion with the woman about the shelters. I had been asking which shelters they work with, because I have seen some dogs I would like to pull. She said they try to get to the dogs BEFORE they go to the shelters, and that most of the shelters around here already work extensively with rescue groups. Even the one that writes "TIME IS LIMITED" on all of their petfinder ads sends their excess animals to one of the local rescues. So it would seem the shelter animals are already covered pretty well. I guess this rescue gets most of their dogs from owner turn-ins, strays, and a couple BYB's that call them when they want to get rid of a dog that isn't producing well. :|

I would have no way to get these sorts of dogs without a group and I don't have the resources to start my own. I am signed up to volunteer with the shelter where we got Nala. I have to do an orientation and then I can choose what I want to do. I am going to go through their dog training program so I can work with training the dogs. My son is going to go be a cat cuddler.

Bonnie's shelter is quite a drive from my house. I also noticed that they are no longer advertising their "weekend getaways" anymore. It could be that they had problems with the program or something.

There are other rescue groups around here that I could contact. I think I will wait until I get some experience at the shelter and then decide where to go from there.

There are MANY rescue groups that are overly picky about where their dogs go. It's my opinion that you can't find the "perfect" home for everyone and that a good home where the animal is loved is better than nothing and also better than having a foster hold onto the dog and have to turn others away.

That being said, I have been trying to make arrangements about where my dogs will go if something ever happens to me, and I can't think of anyone I would trust with them! LOL. Even my sister - she already has 4 dogs and not enough money to support them. She would never feed them raw. Then again, if they had nowhere else to go at least they would be loved there.

8. nern

nern New Member

That is awesome! I wish we had something like that here.

Well, I hope you can find a shelter that is willing to work with you. That whole situation is kind of ridiculous. Good luck.

9. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

:eek:

The thing that bugs me is that I made sure the original woman I talked to knew that I do not vaccinate yearly, that my dogs are raw fed, and that I do natural heartworm protection plus testing every 6 months.

This is very interesting in itself. Can you please elaborate upon it?

Thanks,

Sue

10. yogi

yogi New Member

those in charge of fostering

I have also gone thru this. We had a change in regional manager. She lacked all people skills and was far over the edge with regards to being judgemental as if all these dogs were her personal property. I had an aunaltered breeding 6 month old AKC registered purebred in the house. I had been fostering for a lengthy period of time and the 2 prior regional managers had already ok'd this due to my knowledge of the breed. She steps in and sends me an e-mail asking about any dogs in the house not altered. I was honest as the 2 prior managers had no issues. This woman had never met me and only a few e-mails immediately upon getting my e-mail response no more word from her. I e-mailed the founder of the organization about how I felt like I was treated unfairly and that she needed to review this womans approach as this is suppose to be about the dogs not this woman's ego. The next nite I get a call from NY from the founder. She was upset that I was leaving the organization and even she was in agreement that though there is a rule regarding un-altered dogs, it is overlooked in certain situations as evident by the 2 prior managers. I unfortunately though repeatedly asked to return explained that I could not so long as this woman was in charge. I found out that the founder e-mailed the regional manager explaining it was best that she contact me and apologize and request I return. No suprise to me, I never heard from the woman even though I have a copy of the original e-mail. Many of these people are hung up on some type of power trip that leaves them blind to what their responsibility is, the dogs. It is too bad because on several sites I frequent, I have found so many people that are so upset at rescue groups where they have offered but their offering falls on deaf ears. In all the biggest complaint is issues like those mentioned. It is worse when I find out that majority of the people being turned down as it turns out have more experience and knowledge of the breed that they are looking to rescue than those in charge of finding fosters and new homes. This is scarry.

11. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I have found that in every aspect of working with animals (pets) that some peoples ego's far outweigh their knowledge and capabilities, whether its animal hospitals, boarding kennels or rescues, theres always those ones that know it all and their way is the right way....or the only way.
    I dont understand (Jamiya) why these people were giving you the runaround....if the potential foster dogs are already, vaccinated, protected against fleas, heartworm and anything else that may casue problems then it doesnt make any sense, I can see why they would want you (or any foster carer) to stick with their protocols....its hard to change ideals on some things, natural remedies and preventatives are 'fairly new' and not everyne knows enough about them to trust them...but that aside, if the foster dogs are covered (vax etc) then shouldnt even be an issue. If they are not happy about feeding raw would you 'oblige' them and feed whatever it is they want the fosters fed? I dont see that as being a problem either, many multi-dog households feed different dogs different foods, some being on strict diets for health conditions, allergies etc while other dogs may be on a 'regular' food.....

I really hope you do get the chance to foster, I know you were a little nervous about it and Im sure this all hasnt helped but dont give up, from reading your posts its obvious that you are extremely knowledgable about dogs and any dog would be lucky (and happy) to have you as a foster -mom.

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

DeLaUK, I had already assured them that I would feed their dogs the way they wanted and also administer heartworm preventive and whatever else they wanted. I don't believe these things are best for the dog, but for rescue dogs the most important thing is to get them into loving, forever homes!

Sue, I'll start a new thread for your question. :)

13. dogangel

dogangel New Member

Jamiya, they obviously gave you the run around.... Have you ever considered fostering for a specific breed rescue? They are usually regional, sometimes national, and they always want serious fosters like you.

The reason why they are asking about fences is because obviously that is more or less a garantee for the safety of the dog. (Not that they can't be jumpers or diggers, and then a fence is just a new and interesting obstacle to them... :mrgreen: )
    The reason why they're asking for vaccinations is for the safety of your OWN dogs. Remember, these poor babies that are to be fostered come from filthy shelters, most of them caught as strays. There's no telling what kind of deseases they carry... Starting with mange, and ending with distemper, KC, parvo, worms of all kinds, etc., etc.... But if you think your babies would be protected without being vaccinated, it's up to you.
    What they do want to see is that your puppers are spayed/neutered unless there is a very serious reason why you wouldn't do that.

Feeding - that is totally insane!!! Haven't they heard by now that raw is the best??!! Jeez!!!!

Just my 2 cents...

14. honeybears

honeybears New Member

that is so sad, I do agree some of these groups are so fanatical that it only hurts the animals in teh long run.

Take Midas. I got him and adoption day at petco. the foster woman didnt want me to have him because he needed 9 hours a day of love and attention and how was I going to do that becaue I worked full time I was :shock: :shock:. Midas has had hte best care and home for the last 7 years anyone could ask for. just makes me mad.

oh and I put in my app 2 months ago to our local humane sociiety to foster in emergency situation, havnt heard athing.

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It took months to hear back from the shelter about their volunteer training. I was about to call and ask if they had so many volunteers they could afford to ignore new ones...

I had this whole long post typed up and then the power went off at work and I lost it. Let's see if I can reconstruct...

About the vaccinations issue. I do realize why they were concerned, although it wasn't only the safety of their dogs they were worried about. They seemed most concerned that MY dogs would come down with kennel cough. In fact, they said they vaccinate their own dogs every 6 months for it. Then they said that it doesn't always work and their personal dogs have sometimes come down with it. The one person who agrees with me about overmedication said all her dogs got it very mildly. To me, this is a GOOD thing! They got a mild infection and thus some natural immunity to it! It seems dangerous to me to keep exposing their dogs to freshly vaccinated dogs who are shedding the virus AND vaccinating their dogs over and over again. It seems like those dogs would get it for sure with that much overload.

Is kennel cough a thing where if you get it once you don't get it again, like measles? Or is it more like a cold and keeps mutating so you can get it more than once?

16. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Most URI's and are 'lumped together' as kennel cough although some are not actually kennel cough. They can get it repeatedly (possibly different strains?....I always think of it as similar acting to human colds/flu, you never get exactly the same one again as the virus has mutated or something)
    My Whipet Bonnie was asthmatic, developed bronchitis a couple of times, she got 'kennel cough' every time another dog was breathing the same air as her practically....she ended up being vacinated against it 2-3 times a year, after we moved into the High Desert (dry heat) she stopped getting it, the vet said it was because the vaccines shed had built up a good immunity agaisnt it BUT.....I dont know, I also have asthma, humidity is a major trigger for it....I didnt have nearly as may attacks after we moved to the Desert, personally I think humidity may have been her problem, not saying that it caused kennel cough but if her breathing/repiratory system was already compromized with asthma that would make her more susceptible to pick up other infections (I have ended up with a bad bronchitis, even pneumonia a couple of times when the asthma has kicked and someone Im around has a bad cold....usually I shake colds off easy but not if Im battling asthma at the that time.)
    So needless to say, I took a chance and never vaccinated her again for kennel cough, she never got it again....5 years without a cough.

I did have other dogs around at the time that were not always up to date with their vaccines, none of the other dogs ever got it, and they were sleeping in the same bed, eating out of the same bowls etc.

17. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I recently read somewhere that kennel cough is like the common cold and if the dogs immune system is good they can normally fight it off meaning they will go thru a period of something like 7- 10 days of coughing and then they get better just like we do, would like to find where I read that. I will see what I can find

18. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yes, I remembered reading that once as well, honeybears, which is why I just blinked when they told me they wouldn't give me the dog. I told them my dogs are healthy and should be able to fight it off if they even got it, and THEY told me it is horrible and can lead to pneumonia and death! I'm sure that's true in a rescue dog with a compromised immune system, but even the non-holistic high-tech vet (who is the only one I could reach on the weekend) said it wasn't a big deal and my dogs should be fine.

It's not like my dogs have never been vaccinated for anything. Nala got a TON of puppy shots and Bonnie got all of hers when she was in rescue (and probably had puppy shots as well). I'm not sure they ever had bordatella, but everything I read a year or so ago said that it wasn't really necessary and that half the time it doesn't work anyway.

But kennel people are REALLY strict about it. Fortunately, the lady who boards my dogs says, "Are they current on vaccinations?" and I say, "Yes" and that's that. As far as I'm concerned, they ARE current. My vet agrees.

I would be concerned taking a dog newly vaccinated with bordatella into my home. Or one with active symptoms. If I were going to do that, I would treat my dogs with the nosode first. I would NOT get them the vaccination, although at least the nasal one is better than a shot because it is entering the body in a more natural way, just like the disease would.

19. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

that really ticks me off Jamiya.

I know people around here that are just like that. their heads are sooo far up their butts they don't know which end is up....

You are always welcome to take any of my rescues.

20. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If only you were closer, Sams. :)