1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

found blood in poop

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by eman, Apr 14, 2008.

1. eman

eman New Member

Today I found blood on Max's poop. His poop was softer than usual and smelled worse. It is the first time that I see blood. Should I take a sample to the vet, or should I wait to see if it happens again?

Thanks

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

It could be that Max is straining to poop..... did you change his food at all? Did he get into something that he shouldn't have? I would at least call the vet and see if they want to see him.... better safe than sorry.....
    Keep us informed...

3. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yea I would ring the vet and let him know that you found blood in his poop, see if he wants a sample or wants you to bring Max in.. Is he drinking more than usual and eating normally???

4. eman

eman New Member

I will call the vet tomorow when they open and see what they say. Nothing has changed. His food is the same and he seems to be acting like always. His annual check up and vaccines are due in May. If the vet doesnt think it is an emergency, I might wait 2 weeks so that I wouldnt have to take him there twice.

Thank you for ur replies..

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

if you see it again you might simply be able to take a fecal sample to the vet. Could be a parasite, especially considering the texture has changed.

6. Chezza

Chezza New Member

How did you go Eman, ???, any news???
    Hope alls ok..

7. eman

eman New Member

i took max to the vet on tuesday. the vet did the annual check up and shots. she said it could be anything but if it happens again, i should bring her a sample. Max is sleeping more than usual and he isnt as active as he was before the shots. Do vaccines affect them this way? i dont remember this happening in his previous shots..
    Yesterday, as he was pooping, he seemed to be in pain. He was growling and hissing. There was no blood this time. i called the vet and she said that maybe he was constipated from all the hair he is eating while grooming. So i bought him the hairball treatment. Hopefully he will be better soon..

thanks

eman

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

adding a tiny amount of light extra virgin olive oil to wet food once daily will also help with the hairballs.
    Vaccines can make cats lethargic. My Missy can't have the feline leuk vaccine, which scares me fostering. She gets really really ill from it. My other cats will sleep all day with distemper vaccines - it's actually rather enjoyable LOL as long as I know what it is

9. vene

vene New Member

I hope Max will feel better soon. Big hugs for the both of you.

10. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Awwww Eman, poor Max, yea vaccines can cause them to be lethargic, I would do what Mary Suggested and add olive oil, that will help..I hope things improve..

11. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Get well wishes to Max!!!