1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

fresh water snails and how to care for them

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by erin, Dec 17, 2004.

1. erin

erin New Member

i wanted to know the correct name for the lil fresh water snails. also what can i feed them since i have them in a tank by themselfs. they are so cute and very active ..they were givin to me from a friend. any tips.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

There are hundreds of species of freshwater snails, but I'm going to guess that the ones you're thinking of are apple snails since they're one of the more readily available varieties. In which case, here is probably the best site with info on them:
    http://applesnail.net/

-Chelle

3. erin

erin New Member

i think they are sinistral snails ...my freind said that they just popped into his tank one day ...i dont think they are apple snails. i am trying to see what i can feed them and care for them they are so tiny,

4. erin

erin New Member

they are tiny lil snails .....they also are very active too. they are so cute ...i just want to know what the name was for them. i love them so much!! they are neat.

5. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

The best guess I have (if your friend didn't buy the snails) is the brown ramshorn snail. They can come in on fish orders at your pet store... they won't get much bigger than a nickel in size and will reproduce very easily in your tank... they will eat mostly anything but do enjoy plant matter. I have some in my Piranha tanks that clean up on leftover fish parts, they do some minor damage to my plants too.

6. erin

erin New Member

i plan to keep tham in a tank with no fish just plants and i was also wondering what i can feed them ..how oftern do they breed. thank you.

7. erin

erin New Member

i dont think they are..i looked at a photo of a ramshorn and mine look like they have a spiral at the end ..they are not a flat shell.

8. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

9. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Can I replace snail shells?

Does anyone know whether I can put some larger shells in my tank and have my snail "move in" to it?

It seems like it might be fun. I have a "Black mystery snail," which if I'm not mistaken is another name for an apple snail.

10. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

Snail shells are not "moved in to" by snails... you are thinking of hermitt crabs... most snails grow their own shells, not sure about the black mystery snail, we always called apple snails, apple snails.

11. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Snail shell move in

Thanks, man. I'm a newby.

12. erin

erin New Member

thank you ...i am going to go to that site to try and identify them . thank you for your help!!

13. erin

erin New Member

i think i identified my lil guys...as gilled snails .. now i just want to know if you can put any plant or rock in the tank with them ..and i wonder if the four i have will breed soon? i hope so.
    i am going to keep them in a tank to live . i also wondered what to feed them?
    thanks again.

14. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

No problem

15. erin

erin New Member

does anyone know what i can feed them , and any tips? will they breed?

16. erin

erin New Member

again i am sorry for asking so many question but ...i cant find much on the internet . how can i encourage breeding?

17. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

snails are really easy breeders... they basically just end up doing it, and feeding them can be as easy as having plants in your tank and a little fish food

18. erin

erin New Member

great!!! thank you .
    i now have to see what plants they can eat?
    :y_the_best:

19. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

eat mosly any leafy plant, i think amazon swords would be fine.