1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fresh water sting rays

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by momma, Jul 24, 2004.

1. momma

momma New Member

Has any one ever owned a stingray? how hard are they to keep. How big of a tank? and how are they as fish? Do they stay under the sand most of the time?

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

I've never had one but I know they are very delicate. They also get quite large and need a tank that is very long and wide but not too tall. Apparently they have little resistance to disease or parasites so getting a UV sterilizer for the tank is recommended. Also, they are supposedly quite hard to feed.

Just things I've heard. If you get one, post pics please :D

3. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

iv also never had one tina, but saw some at a fish shop in a table tank. very shallow. thats all i know, sorry.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Ditto what Tina said. They're extremely sensitive to water quality and get very large (I think the smallest species get's 18" across, most get around 3' across) so they would need a really huge, custom made tank. They also need a species only tank. You'd probably be better off seeing them at the local aquarium.

-Chelle

5. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

i know of someone who has a string ray. its in a 500g

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

never heard of it.....though it would need a very large tank and i know that the saltwater are hard to take care of so i assume its the same for freshwater.

7. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

I seen them in my LFS.. It gets quite big and expensive.. But it's hard to keep..

8. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

I seen them in my LFS.. It gets quite big and expensive.. But it's hard to keep..

9. Obelix

Obelix New Member

All of the above are correct, their hyper sensative and usaly only people going to great lenths (such as have a tank custom made etc.) will get them since it can be very costly but ive heard that they actually grow pretty slow, they've got lots of them at the Baltimore Aquarium but thoes look more like double wide surf boards.

10. Hooben

Hooben New Member

You need a super wide tank, and they dont do to well with gravel. The coarse rocks can scratch them up pretty bad. Sand as a substrate is better for them.

11. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

A lot of good information here. They are difficult to keep. It is hard to get them to eat. They can not be kept in a gravel tank even if the rocks are smooth they will bruise themselves on the gravel. Sand is the best media. The problem with sand is that they like to bury themselves slightly in the sand which can disturb the bacteria in the sand and create bacterial problems in the tank.