1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Friday

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

So there I was, getting off work and driving home. You all know me "good ol sam, takes care of them animals!" So I'm driving down HWY90 W and theres this HUGE turtle.... So I pull over to the side of the road, stop, put blinkers on, the whole 9 yds.....

I get out to pick this big guy up, Ugh, he must have been 8-9 lbs!! heavy stinker. (was a soft shell to begin with, WTF was he doing outta the water???) SO I put him in the ditch, and continue on my way. Not 10 miles down the road theres another one!!!! Heading the same direction! SO I put him in the ditch, I just hate seeing them get hit.

So I drive on....... DO you know how many darn turtles I picked up on the way home??? 9 yes NINE turtles!!!!

Wonder what they are doing???

So I finally get home. Undress and change clothes, time to dip the hairless babies.... There's a turtle in my yard, The dogs are going crazy overthis thing!! So I picked him up and took him to the pasture next to the tank.... like thats all we need, more turtles eating the fish!
    Anyhow. I get to the puppy pen....and tehre's another one!!!!

Whats with the turtles!!!!???

2. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:0011: Maybe??? YELLOW MUD TURTLE
    Kinosternon flavescens flavescens
    Description
    The Yellow Mud Turtle is an olive-colored turtle whose top shell (carapace) grows from four to 6 3/8 inches at maturity. Its name comes from the yellow colored areas evident on its throat, head and sides of its neck. The bottom shell (plastron) is yellow to brown with two hinges, allowing the turtle to close each end separately. The male's tail has a blunt spine on the end while that of the female does not. Both the male and the female have barbels on their chin and on the underside of their neck.

Life History
    Like other turtles, the Yellow Mud Turtle spends time basking in the sun. Although these turtles are aquatic, they often leave the water to forage for food, nest or even to migrate to another water system should their home dry up. Foraging expeditions either on land or in the water usually yield tadpoles, insects, worms and small mollusks.

The Yellow Mud Turtle is capable of emitting a strong odor. When alarmed, it responds by secreting this odor from the musk glands that are found on each side of its body.

Studies show that mating among these turtles in captivity was stimulated by the addition of fresh water to their aquariums. The addition of fresh water may simulate newly fallen rain, suggesting that in nature they may mate after a rain shower. Nesting in Texas occurs during June. Females deposit one to six elliptical, hard, white eggs into the nest that eventually hatch into young turtles that look like miniature adults. In the adults, the ninth and tenth marginals on the carapace are large and elevated, but in the hatchlings, they are small and not yet fully raised.

Habitat and Distribution
    Yellow Mud Turtles inhabit aquatic systems, preferably with muddy bottoms, such as ponds, cattle tanks and lakes. They also commonly are found in canals, ditches and other slow-moving waterways.

These turtles range throughout most of New Mexico and Oklahoma and parts of surrounding states including Nebraska, Kansas, Arizona, Colorado and Utah. They are found throughout Texas but are rare in the eastern third.

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Actually, the research I pulled up lists a ton of turtles, local to Texas, that mate in May then deposit eggs in June. Looks like you may be in the cross hairs of turtles in heat!

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Turtles!! How frustrating - but you made me laugh!

Jamiya

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I like to walk after a rain and take salamanders out of the road and put them back in the grass....I'm probably screwing them all up cause they really want to cross the road LOL but I don't want them to

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Do you at least put them on the side of the road they are facing, so they are closer to where they were wanting to go? :)

Jamiya

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

good pint Jamiya.

I love turtles. No more reptiles for me though. I just don't have the time.

8. Samsintentions

Oh yeah, I'm always putting them where they were heading to to begin with. THey were all kinds of turtles. We just got over a huge rainfall about 3 weeks ago. Ditches are still full.

Silly things. They move soo slow, I see them splattered all over the road and it makes me sick. I jsut hate for them to get hit. It would seriously piss meoff if I got hit trying to cross the road to find a man!!!

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Turtles in heat....it just gets better and better....

Jamiya

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Gee, I don't know, after some of the relationships I've had, getting hit would have been a blessing! :roll:

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :0017:

12. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

heeeehhehehehehehehe :bow_now:

So very true.

Poor turtles though. Everyone needs some love once in a while.

13. Samsintentions

not to be a perve or anything....they do everything slow....wonder what 8) ......hmmmmm

Sorry. I couldn't resist!!!! :oops:

14. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

OK, it's official, I think you have gone past bored! :lol:

15. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

That just seems like such a strange thing to find everywhere. We used to have tortises when I was a kid. Anyone that would run over a turtle is just sick.. I mean what harm can a turtle do, maybe show up in a pup pen.
    and thank goodness it was a turtle you were talking about. I was afraid you were going to say another pup died.

16. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

That is so funny!!!! Im glad you took the time to save them.

17. Samsintentions

Yeah, I called Momma, (mother in law) she's babysitting the hairless monsters. SO far all is good. Except they seem to have taken to her tennishoe!!! She said she walked in there to pick up the pooo and one grabbed her lace. She busted her butt, and her hand landed straight in the poo!!! EWWWWWW warm and squishy right between the fingers!!!!

:0024:

18. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

poor woman. hehe. I guess it really isn't easier than having kids.

19. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Sam what can I say, Animals just flock to you. Now that you mention it though I have seen a ton of turtles trying to cross the road lately. I have stopped when Ican to move them but not always able to.

PS what harless monsters? I think I missed something. LOL

20. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sams got more puppies, and they have mange poor things

honeybear