1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Friends For Blood Parrot

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Oct 9, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

What could be put in with our blood parrot in the 30 Gallon. We were thinking some cories, or some sort of schooling bottom feeder.
    Any suggestions.

2. tyler_medeiros

i was thinking of clown loaches but im not sure if i could add them to the thirty with the blood parrot. Do you think i could put 2 or three in.

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I have kept tiger barbs with blood parrots and cories with no problems. The barbs must be kept in schools of three or more. They would work well in your 30 gallon, but what else is in there?

I have also kept severums, silver dollars, and tinfoil barbs with blood parrots, but only in a large 110 gallon tank.
    Your tank size limits you to the small fish.
    Good luck!

4. tyler_medeiros

we were thinking cories or clown loaches but becuase she is quite aggressive we arnt sure if it will be ok. She is the only fish in the tank right know.

5. tyler_medeiros

ive been doing lots of research and i think that two clown loaches would be awsome.
    What do you guys think.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Do you have plans to get a bigger tank sometime?

-Chelle

7. tyler_medeiros

yes we already have the 90 gallon which we are expecting to set up within the next year or so and we were planning on putting them in there eventually. he just looks so lonely in the thirty by himself.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

As long as you have plans to upgrade, I think 3 loaches should be fine barring any aggression issues.

-Chelle

9. tyler_medeiros

so three instead of two.
    I heard that loaches do better in pairs. Is that true?

10. tyler_medeiros

How many emerald catfish could we have if we cant find clown loaches?

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Loaches do better in groups. Actually 6 would be even better than 3, but eventually, they'd need quite a bit of space because they get very large.

For the 90 gallon with just the BP, you could fit quite a few emerald cats since they only get 3". I think a school of 6 would be pretty nice baring any aggression issues. That said, they won't last a really long time in the 30 with the BP because they grow faster than loaches and they would be quite a bit of bioload in the 30. But maybe if you started with 3 then added 3 more once you moved everyone to the 90.

-Chelle

12. tyler_medeiros

what would be the best bet for the thirty gallon right know.
    3 loaches or 3 emeralds.

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think either would be okay since the emerald cats will only max out at around 3" and I don't think the loaches would get much bigger than that in about a year's time.

-Chelle

14. tyler_medeiros

which do you think the bp will be less agressive towards.

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It really depends on the individual personality of the BP. I think emerald cats and clown loaches are both pretty much equally passive.

-Chelle

16. tyler_medeiros

what is the safest and easiest way in introducing new fish into the blood parrots home.

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd just make sure there's some places that they can get to but the BP can't. Like maybe some jars. Then just put them in and hope for the best.

-Chelle

18. tyler_medeiros

should i disract the BP while i put them in and then just put the others down near their hidding place.
    Also i heard that Loaches are suseptible to ich under stress and you should treat the tank with a half dose of medication for the first week. Should that be done?

19. tyler_medeiros

Also should i re-arrange the tank to get rid of any territory the BP already has.
    Will that make a difference.

20. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Rearranging & distracting the BP would probably be a good idea.

And I'm really not a huge fan of preemptive medicating. I would quarantine the loaches for a couple weeks first, though.

-Chelle