1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Frontline Questions

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lil96, Jun 24, 2004.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

Ok I have a few questions about frontline. I have always heard from the vet if i give my dog a bath (after i have out it on) then I need to reapply. first question: it has been raining here non stop for like a month and i have to go out side in the rain with Luther, does this make it uneffective? do I ned to reapply? I have no jacket or anything for luther I always dry him off as soon as we are inside.
    Today I looked at the frontline website and it said that "It's applied just once a month and it's completely waterproof. Your pet can swim, get wet and even be bathed without the need for re-application." so why does that vet say to reapply (money for the vet, you would think frontline would want money too)
    and i am not totally sure i understand how it works with ticks. because it seems as if luther has had maybe 5 ticks (since he has had it on 3 weeks or so) but I always find the ticks dead in the carpet all blown up(well actually they look more blown out) never on luher. I also give my cat frontline (although she is an indoor cat)
    so is it working or is it not working? I don't want to keep reapplying and poison him
    but another question aboutfleas and ticks, since I have lived here i haven'T seen any fleas on Luther(during the winter time I don'T usually give him fromtline) but many ticks. is it like this any where else? Where I used to live if i didn'T put frontline on he would immediately get infested with fleas.

2. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I don't like the thought of re applying it after EVERY time the dog gets wet!! From what I understand, it is supposed to hold up to bathing and still be good for a month. I use Advantage on Rusty mostly because from what I've read it's a bit milder, and is mostly for fleas, rather than so much for ticks. We don't tend to have ticks around here, just fleas. And I figure the less chemicals on him the better. ANyway, I put the Advantage on him once every 4 to 6 weeks or so, and he gets bathed once a week, and we haven't had any problem with it not working. I'm not so sure that vet is giving good information....I'd say if you dog isn't having any problem and your not seeing the bugs on him, it must be working despite the rain.

3. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

From what I know if you are having problems with ticks you should be using Frontline Plus, I have 3 cats and I use that on them and they haven't had any signs of ticks on them. Try that one and see. And as for reaplying after getting wet you don't have to reaply. It should work regardless of getting wet. Hope this helps, have a great day.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Also, it easily lasts for 6 weeks. Don't use it every 4 unless you are having problems. I don't use it at all anymore. I didn't like poisoning the dogs. I feed a garlic tablet every day and have not seen a tick on the dogs since.

Jamiya

5. lil96

lil96 New Member

and yesterday he had another tick. I hate those nasty things!!
    Jamiya I had a question you said you use garlic, that is what my mom would use when I was a kid an never had problems, but I have over the past few years heard that is bad for the dog's heart, I think? I can'T remember, since then I have only used it if Luther gets fleas and I have to wait a while before going to the vet. Have you heard that also or not? Because sometimes I wonder if he Frontline and advantage and whatvever other companies out there do these studies to show problems like that so that you buy their product. Or am I just paranoid?

6. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

With Frontline, you just shouldn't bathe your dog or let them get wet a few days before you apply it and a few days after you apply it. After a few days though, it is OK to bathe them or let them get wet.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Thanks, Eliza. I hadn't heard that before but it makes a lot of sense.

lil96, too much garlic can be dangerous for a dog (and even worse for cats). It's not their heart, though - garlic is good for your heart. Garlic is part of the onion family and they have a compound in them that can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats - meaning their red blood cells burst. Not good!

BUT, onions are WAY more dangerous than garlic. Do NOT feed onions to your dog ever!

Garlic has to be consumed in very large quantities for it to hurt your dog. I was also told that kyolic aged garlic is better to give a dog than regular garlic. Jas said this in another post:

Many breeders that aren't into chemicals give their dogs one clove of garlic a day and never had problems with fleas or ticks. I felt the tablets were easier, so I give one tablet of kyolic garlic a day (I can't remember the size of the tablet - I would have to check at home) which is 1/4 of the human dose written on the bottle (my dogs are 40 pounds).

Here are some quotes about garlic and onions:

I think that just as with most things, moderation is the key. And awareness of the symptoms of hemolytic anemia, just in case.

Jamiya

8. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Jamiya: Where do you get Kyolic garlic?

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I found it at Whole Foods, but recently I saw it at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market as well. It should be sold just about anywhere that sells vitamins and supplements. Although I don't think I found it at my regular grocery store.

Jamiya

10. lil96

lil96 New Member

ok thanks. Now I just have to figure out the german word for Kyolic!! its probably the same, I have never heard of it before. I wish I had a tick detector and it would blow up the nasty things when they try to come in my yard!